Computer Performance & CloneDVD2

Windows XP Professional
Lots if available disk space (over 120 gigs free)
1 GB RAM installed
CloneDVD2 ver 2.8.5.1

I will sometimes burn 2,3, or more DVD’s in a row from ISO’s using Clone DVD’s ‘Write existing data’ function. The problem is that after 2 movies, my computer freezes up (this in the only circumstance that causes it to do so) and I have to re-boot, sometimes by turning the power off (yup, it gets that frozen…).

Any thoughts? Or do I need to provide more information?

TIA, CG

Are you overclocking your PC?
What temperature is your CPU running at when you reboot? (check this in Bios)
If this is high, you may need to investigate cooling problems that could be solved by keeping the inside of your PC clean from dust, rearranging cables blocking airflow, using good quality thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink. It could also be a power supply related problem. Some high wattage rated power supplies at the lower end of the market can in fact be much poorer quality than lower wattage high quality ones - this causes problems when many devices compete for power that the supply cannot meet efficiently.

Regards

TZ

TZ’s possible diagnosis is a valid one. Also a possibility:

RAM get’s “fragmented” just like a HDD can get fragmented. I used to work with Vidio RAM at Trident Microsystems and the engineering solution was to “refresh” the Video RAM on the video card often. You can’t do this with system RAM except by rebooting. With 4 - 8 GBs of data included in the typical movie, so many “zeros and ones” need to pass perfectly to a backup that maybe RAM fragmetation is the cause of your system freezes.

So just reboot between each backup.

As I’m sure you know, a “hard” shut down can really mess up the functioning of your system. Windows needs to shut down using the Start/Shutdown button method in order to close out and finalize system files in use in RAM before the shutdown. If your system is not already messed up from doing hard shutdowns, you have been very lucky!

Best regards,
Whisperer

@ Whisperer1

I use a program called Free Ram XP Pro, it free’s up Ram(supposably), you can get it HERE
I’m not sure if this a program that could help cybergranddad

@ cybergranddad,

Quite possibly you have a pending hardware failure that is accentuated by the high demand placed on your system when duplicating multiple copies of Commercial DVD Movie titles.

It can be very difficult to identify exactly which hardware item that might be that is causing your problem.

There is a software utility program called PassMark BurnIn Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm), which helps to identify hardware items that are performing marginally which narrows down the items that could be causing your problem. I have used this program in the past when I was having a problem similar to what you are experiencing. Using PassMark BurnIn Test I was able to identify a power supply that was marginally performing and I replace the power supply and my problem went away. There are possibly other software utility program that function similar to PassMark BurnIn Test but I am unaware of them.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for everyone’s input. The systems seems healthy, is running cool enough, but the RAM idea seems like a valid one. I’ll just do a hard boot between each burn.

CG

You’re kidding right, or just misusing the term maybe? “Hard” means and emergency shut down using the computer’s physical power button. This is a big bad!

You want to shut down using the Windows software Start button method to either Start/Shutdown (then reboot after 15 seconds) or at least Start/Restart between backups.

@ cybergranddad,

Your computer is NOT ‘healthy’.

If everything is operating correctly you should not have ANY problem making two backup copies right after each other. This is an indication of a problem with your computer.

Forum Member Whisperer1 suggests your problem could be related to fragmented RAM but I believe Forum Member TigerZai suggestions are more on the mark. If Forum Member TigerZai is correct suggesting your problem could be a computer case cooling/ventilation problem and you ignore the problem and don’t take positive active steps to correct the problem you risk the possibility of permanently damaging a computer hardware competent which can cost well over a hundred bucks to repair/replace.

Best Regards,
bjkg

If overheating is a problem, you might want to try Round Cables instead of the normal Ribbons. Round cables allow better airflow in your case and look better also. Here is a picture of what I am talking about - http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/12-104-636-01.JPG

You could also add more fans but make sure your Power Supply can handle it before doing that.

bjkg,
You and i are pals so i know you won’t take my counter as offensive. No, cybergranddad probably wouldn’t have a freeze-up if he did 1 or 2 backups in a row. But he stated that he “… will sometimes burn 2,3, or more DVD’s in a row from ISO’s …” which sets off my alert flags from what I learned about RAM usage in the industry.

When burning, the processor looks for data in RAM in contigient rows of sectors similar to clusters of data on a HDD platter. They are identified by such readouts as [000F000 - 000F3FFF] and laid out in arrays which the processor is looking to find the information via a smoothe transition ie contingient (next to each other) arrays of RAM clusters which it sends to the burner’s buffer memory. With the speed at which the processor is expecting to gather this data from the RAM arrays, if any sector (cluster) is holding data from a previous backup or just system data, and this caused the backup data to be deposited in a non-aligned array or memory unit, (ie it has not been refreshed to be “empty” and ready to hold new data), then the whole process can fail and you can get a freeze.

Not saying that this is definately the one and only cause of the freezes but if cybergranddad shuts down and then restarts (or at least reboots) between each backup and that solves his freezeups, then that would be the easiest variable to avoid alot of troubleshooting. Hope I have not bored anyone.

cybergranddad: the reason I prefer to shut down and wait 15 seconds is it gives the necessary time for RAM modules to completely dishcharge the electric charges they are holding which gives you completely refreshed RAM when you reboot. Restarting does not give enough time for complete discharge since the computer never actually shuts off. Backing up is not a simple computer process like word processing or cruzin the internet. It is fast and furious data transfer of multiple GB’s and every zero & one has to be perfect. If shutting down between backups doesn’t solve you problem then you can sure look into the other’s suggestions above as valid possible solutions. Many, multiple backups in a row with absolutely no down time in between could indeed put a strain on a processor’s thermal limit capabilities. But you seem to indicate that things are running within limitations. Assume you have a temperature readout from a motherboard utility program or bios readout upon which you are basing your opinion. You can’t tell by touch because the processor’s fan & heatsink make it impossible to actually touch the processor which you should not do anyway because of your body’s possible static eletricity discharge destroying the CPU.

Best regards to all,
Whisperer

I didn’t realise that this was going to get to complicated. That said, thanks for everyone’s input;

Here’s what I got…

• No, the computer is not overclocked

• the case and motherboard temp has never risen above 65 degrees F (I live in NE, and the case is up against a outside wall and it’s like 6 degrees out there today). I’ve kept an eye on the temp for several days, and the computer will lock after 2 ISO’s (unless I reboot) at that temp

• The ONLY time the computer locks is after copying more than 2 ISO’s. To be clear, it acts “sluggish”, and will lock if I perform another CPU intensive task

• By hard boot, I meant shutting the computer down properly (not shutting the power off). Just re-booting solves the problem 100% of the time since I’ve been doing it. I think that takes care of any "unhealthy computer.concerns)

Thanks again for everyone’s input, and if you have more to share I’ll gladly read it.

CG

@ cybergranddad,

Computer engineers specifically design computers not to ‘freeze up’ when being used. If a computer ‘freezes up’ when being used indicates that it is not operating correctly. Ignoring a ‘freeze up’ problem could lead to a costly repair bill.

The minimum requirements for Windows XP are 128 MB RAM and there are numerous Forum Members that have this minimum amount of RAM installed in their computer. Many Forum Members with this minimum amount of RAM are routinely making back-to-back multiple ISO copies of Commercial DVD Movie titles with out any reported ‘freeze up’ problems. With 1 GB RAM there is no reason unless you are doing demanding intensive background multitasking simultaneously while making your backup copies of Commercial DVD Movie titles that you should ever have any problems.

I have two different computers that I use for making backup copies of Commercial DVD Movies and numerous times I make 3 and up to 5 back-to-back multiple ISO copies of Commercial DVD Movie titles copies of Commercial DVD Movies and my computers never makes a hiccup.

Your problem indicates that quite possibly you have some marginally performing hardware component. This component could be a power supply, video card, stick of RAM, CPU, motherboard component or any other related hardware component. The only efficient way to narrow down the offending component is to use a software utility similar to PassMark BurnIn Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm). As stated before ignoring your ‘freeze up’ problem could lead to a catastrophic failure that could result in a costly repair bill.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I’ll check it out. PassMark BurnIn looks very affordable ($22 - $49 for the ‘pro’). I’ll see what it says and move forward form there. The 'puter is still under warranty so I might as well find out…

CG

Cyber -
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue after I burn several DVDs.