Computer not reading blank DVD's

vbimport

Just lately my computer stopped reading DVD’S, the property shows 0 free 0 used. It will read blank CDR’s and play burnt DVD’s I already have.
I have done various malware and virus and rootkit scans and not found anything. I also did a Windows repair and bought a new double layer burner and still have the same problem.
Has anyone any ideas what has happened here?

Thanks

Jim

Brand/model of burner? Operating system? Have you tried uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and rebooting? Do you have any error listed for the drive in Device Manager?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2465527]Brand/model of burner? Operating system? Have you tried uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and rebooting? Do you have any error listed for the drive in Device Manager?[/QUOTE]

Oops! XP HOME, LG was the original, new one Lite-on.
NO errors in device manager. I have also re and re the drivers as well.
I removed Nero 7 incase it had gone corrupt. Did a re-install, same problem

Welcome to MyCE, JDP06 :slight_smile:

Do you have Alcohol, Daemon Tools, or any other virtual drive/emulation software installed?

If so, no need to uninstall them (yet) - if you have one of the first two programs, then a settings change could help. :slight_smile:

NO nothing like that installed on my system so I don’t really now why things changed.
I have dealt with a lot of computer issues but this one is a first for me.

just to add the drive is recognized but the drive will not recognize blank DVD’s anymore

Is it just the one brand of blank DVD, or different brands?

Obviously we can rule out the drives themselves (as far as any malfunction goes, anyway), since you’ve changed drives.

Any other burning software on the PC besides Nero?

You don’t mention actually burning to the blank discs, what happens there - any error messages or anything?

Just to rule one other thing out: what speeds are the LG and LiteOn burners, and what speeds of discs have you tried?

Trying to cover most, if not all, bases here. :slight_smile:

Does it only ignore the disks in Explorer or does it happen in burning programs like ImgBurn or Nero too? XP doesn’t have native support for blank DVDs.

I first noticed it when trying to burn a 700MB video and got the error from Nero that there was not enough room?
Since DVD’s hold 4.3gb that made no sense so when I went into the explorer properties it showed no free space or used space.
I have tried different brands of DVD’s just in case a got a few bad ones in my spindle, same results. Speeds i am not positive on as I am at work but I believe default is fastest which I have always had it set at. The drive is an IDE and HD’s are SATA, not sure if that may have caused the issue but the LG was a factory install so I wouldn’t think so and the drive is set as a slave.
I only use Nero, nothing else has worked well for me.
Last night I noticed that the floppy drive was trying to be read and it is empty. Does this have anything to do with the problem?
:confused:

When you were burning the 700MB video. Did you try to burn it as a regular data file (in which case, you would only need 700MB space on the disc)?

Or did you convert to DVD-compliant format first/during the burn process? If so, this could account for more space being needed, as the resulting DVD files could have could have been bigger than the space available on the disc.

One of my PCs has an SATA HDD with two IDE burners, this causes no problem for me. :slight_smile:

Well I tried a CDR first and the file showed larger than the 700MB shown in the Nero load bar on the file so I switched to a DVD. It was an avi file which I have burnt many times before without an issue.
Nero wanted to burn it as a PAL but I have not had any luck with those so stayed with NFTS? (not sure if I got this file format right)
I still don’t understand why when I put in a DVD the burner shows it as a CD. Before my computer recognized room on both types of disks. Have a lost some codecs or something?

If you’re burning it as a data disc, PAL or NTSC shouldn’t be an issue. I’m guessing Nero is wanting to convert your .avi file into a regular DVD.

Have you actually tried burning it as a regular data disc (DVD-ROM/CD-ROM)?

EDIT: To see if I can replicate the problem, I just slipped a blank DVD+R into one of my IDE burners on an XP system.

Sure enough, Explorer now shows the drive as a CD drive, and Properties show both free and used space as 0 bytes.

My own drive burns DVD media perfectly, so I doubt very much that’s where your problem lies, unless there is another piece of software that accesses media in your DVD drive installed on your system. :slight_smile:

Hello!

Well I’ll be!
I will install Nero back in tonight after work and see if I get the same error of not enough room on the DVD.
Which I really shouldn’t be getting
A movie over 4gb would be a large one thats for sure
Thanks for your input!
More later if need be!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hello Jim here again!

I must be having a blonde day!! (oops) LOL
If the DVD is not recognized in the burner how is the burn going to happen?:rolleyes:
Is there a setting in Nero I might be forgetting once it is installed?

Thx

Are you sure your not putting the disc in upside down LOL :slight_smile:

I’d suggest you try and follow the instructions in Arachne’s signiture, on how to delete the upper and lower filters.

[QUOTE=JDP06;2465636]Hello Jim here again!

I must be having a blonde day!! (oops) LOL
If the DVD is not recognized in the burner how is the burn going to happen?:rolleyes:
Is there a setting in Nero I might be forgetting once it is installed?

Thx[/QUOTE]

It’s alright, I’m brunette :bigsmile:…I have plenty of my own Blonde Moments, though :wink:

Are you saying Nero itself doesn’t know there’s a DVD in there either? As I said, Explorer on my own XP system doesn’t know what a blank DVD is either, but burning software should still see it correctly :wink:

See if Nero (not Explorer ;)) will see the disc and at least attempt to write to it - as DVD-ROM/data disc, remember - and if not, give Eric’s suggestion a go. :wink:

OMG! not that blonde!!! LOL

I will try the “fix it” option tonight.

Thanks

I followed the steps in that Arachne link sent me to and DO NOT have those filters in my regedit.

Well here we go!
I tried burning a 700 MB avi onto an empty DVD.
The message I got was:
“There is not enough space to burn this compilation to this disc. Please insert another disc that has enough space”

DVD’s are the largest discs made.

So what is wrong here???:sad:

Thanks

Jim