Computer mysteriously restarts on its own!?!?!

vbimport

Does anyone have any idea why my computer mysteriously restarts after I turn it off? My system configuration is below in my signature.

It is the weirdest thing. I click Start – Shut Down – Shut Down. The computer shuts down completely. Then, a minute or two later the power comes back on and the computer boots up. It is like the damned thing is possessed. The only way I can keep the computer off is to flip the power supply switch to “off” before the system re-energizes.

Any idea what might cause this? My Norton antivirus software and definitions are up to date. I don’t find any spyware when I run Spybot and Ad Aware.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Shem

mine did that once and someone(hubby) had changed it to restart without my realizing it. CINDI:)

i have a flat mate that has this problem, her pc forever turns itself on whenever it pleases, i thought she was having me on at first. As a guess i’d say something to do with the power switch, might be faulty, won’t be anything software related as if the pc is shut down then no software can run on the machine.

You have a Wake On Ring/LAN/Keyboard/Mouse function enabled?
//Danne

Ive seen fresh installs of WinMe do this many times, but in your case my guess is a failing powersupply.

Smelled any funny smells coming from your psu (powersupply) lately?

Any icestorms/brownouts?

Check your voltages with a digital multi meter at your molex plugs.

Or maybe use pc alert that came with the kt3’s.

hth’s

You have a Wake On Ring/LAN/Keyboard/Mouse function enabled?

No, I built the thing myself and have been all over the BIOS settings looking for clues. I have all the automatic wake up stuff disabled.

Smelled any funny smells coming from your psu (powersupply) lately

The power supply seems healthy. It is a quality unit and runs cool and quiet. My system is plugged into a decent UPS, so it’s safe from brownouts.

As a guess i’d say something to do with the power switch, might be faulty, won’t be anything software related as if the pc is shut down then no software can run on the machine.

That was my best guess as well. Maybe the start button makes momentary short circuits, long enough to signal the machine to start, but not long enough to turn it off once it is up and running. I guess I will know if this is the cause when I eventually replace my motherboard. If the problem pops up with a new motherboard then it must be the front panel power switch.

Quick way to eliminate off/on switch. Disconnect the two wires on the motherboard where the off/on switch connects after you shut it down. If it comes back on then it’s not the switch, if it stops coming back on then it is the switch or wiring. Check the wiring for cuts where it rests on sharp edges of the case.

Thanks Dominator2. The next time I have the cover off my system I will give your suggestion a try!