Computer Memory

vbimport

I want to uprade the memory in my computer and was wondering what’s the best way of doing it.
I have a 3000MHz AMD64 on a Asus motherboard using the via800 chipset. I currently have 512Mb of ram.
The reason for the extra ram is I am doing more video and photo work.
Shound I go for high performance top of the range stuff or go for quantity? ie 1Gb of pc3200 Kingmax/Crucial or 2Gb of pc3200 generic memory.

Any thoughts.

No, don’t go for OEM memory. They are acceptable for low/mid-end computers, but not for high-end/workstations. They often have extra errors not present on the quality ram. And remember a lot of the os performance relies on the ram. I’d recommend the first option, with 1GB Kingmax/Crucial/TwinMOS/Kingston. All of those are good brenchs, with which you’re sure you have quality! Plus, Kingston offers life-time warranty (I use DDR2 1GB Kingston in this pc).

To be honest, its been shown that brand named ram such as Kingston/Corsair isnt much better than standard stuff (in terms of speed), the only real benefit of branded ram is the extra overclocking capability compared to the standard stuff, as for lifetime warranty, it simply means the lifetime the product should last (according to the company) if kingston say it should last xxx,xxx number of hours and you come back after xxx,xxx + 1 hours later they will show you the door, it does not mean you can come back in 20 years and demand a replacement if the stick fails, i would however go for 1Gb of branded ram simply because you know its going to adhere to certain quality standards that a noname brand might not (in most cases), no ram should have ‘extra errors’ if it does it isnt fit to be sold, a nights testing with memtest 86 should seek out any errors with the chip.

ideally, ram should have no errors at all, even the cheap kind, there is an app i used that tested the number of errors in ram, see if i can find it on the web somewhere, it was mainly used for overclockers. It worked by pushing the pc to the limits (benchmarking or whatever you want to call it), and sending alot of data through the ram, if you got one error in it after you overclocked your memory, then you overclocked it too much as ram shouldn’t have any errors.

i highly recommend Samsung TCCD based memory for an A64 platform. the on-die memory controller of the A64s has been known to be very picky about RAM. Corsair, OCZ, PQI, Patriot, GSkill all produce TCCD based memory.

if you’re mainly doing video/photo work, you’ll see the added benefit of 2GB of RAM over 1GB but i would still try and go with known/proven brands (not only for performance reasons, but for warranty/support reasons). you should also check the Asus site for the list of approved RAM for your motherboard. i have 2 Asus mobos (one 754 pin A64 and the other 939 pin A64). i use Corsair in one (though it’s not ideal at all) and OCZ in the other.

The OCZ Platinum Revision 2 PC3200 ram is highly regarded as the best RAM (regardless of overclocking or not) for the A64 platform. OCZ also has THE BEST customer support in the biz (currently).

@crustyteacup: the app your thinking of is Memtest 86 and runs right from boot (before loading windows) off a floppy or CD. it’s used to test the stability of RAM to see if it can run at certain speeds and timings, but also to check for faulty sticks (which definitely are around).

Thanks all.
Just to clarify I have a Mesh computer which uses the K8V SE Deluxe motherboard socket 754.
When I said generic I was thinking more of Kingston Value than non branded stuff.
Asus do not list a 1Gb stick for this motherboard, I currently have 2X 256Mb Nanya memory sticks installed.
drpino how do I tell if ram has the TCCD memory? & which 1Gb stick would be best for the 754 socket board?

again thanks all

hi crispytoast…

i’ve got an Asus K8V Deluxe (non-SE)…luckily for us, these mobos are among the most tolerant of RAM (there’s an extensive article at Toms Hardware - i know, i don’t necessarily like Toms Hardware either - that details what RAM modules work at they’re rated speeds with which mobos.

TCCD chips are used on many different brands of memory at many different speed ratings. a great guide for ALL RAM can be found here (1st post):
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50010&highlight=list+TCCD+RAM

check out that list and see which modules use TCCD chips and which modules are readily available for YOU. post back with any other questions and i’ll gladly try and help.

You buy branded RAM for the extended warranty and quality (compatibility) not overclockablility, at least if you’re looking for PC3200.
//Danne

I was reading the benchmark figures in one of the big computer mags and they rated the Mushkin Black to be the best memory out there, but only slightly behind was the Coarsair Value Select which of course is about half the price. So if money is an issue, it sounds like Value Select would be the way to go, but if you have the cash, Mushkin is the way to go.

Two yellow sockets, and one blue?

Since this is NOT a dual channel system, I suspect there are configuration limits for single sided and double sided RAM - maybe one DS or SS in the blue, and two SS or one DS in the yellow.

It’s common to have a limit in the total number of “sides”, or a fallback to DDR333 working if the configuration is unacceptable for full speed.

Having trouble finding the right ram
Can not tell if the ram has Samsung TCCD Chips, list above does not help me.
Have so far found these 2 offerings which are suppost to support my motherboard (Asus K8V).
Favouring the OCZ at the moment.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4816084168&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61696

http://www.crucial.com/uk/ballistix/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=110ECC41A5CA7304&WSMD=K8V+SE+Deluxe&WSPN=BL12864Z503

Hope the links work.

neither of those is based on TCCD chips. not sure about the OCZs but i believe the Crucial Ballistix are Hynix. one thing to keep in mind are the timings. the OCZ are rated at PC3200 3-3-3-8 and the Crucial are PC4000 3-4-4-8. if you’re not overclocking there’s really no need to get anything rated higher than PC3200…that being said, Ballistix will probably run tighter timings at PC3200 than the OCZs since they would be running at less than their speed rating (if not OC’ing). if i were to choose one, i’d go with the Crucial Ballistix just cause they look cooler, hehe :wink: