Computer locking up on games

Hi, my computer has been acting up when I installed the HD 4650, my computer just locks up when playing any Source games (half life 2, portal 2 etc.)
My Specs:
MSI 7093
amd athlon 64 3200+
HD 4650
2gigs DDR
Logisys 580 WATT with 12v 24a

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2587403]Hi, my computer has been acting up when I installed the HD 4650, my computer just locks up when playing any Source games (half life 2, portal 2 etc.)
My Specs:
MSI 7093
amd athlon 64 3200+
HD 4650
2gigs DDR
Logisys 580 WATT with 12v 24a[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the computer can’t dissisapate the heat from the CPU and GPU causing the lockups when power demands go up. Open and clean out the dust bunniess and try again but from the sounds of it I never heard of logisys PS before. Are you sure this is a well known PS name???

Well its not a known power supply but it sure does give juice to the computer. But the problem is that i have already cleaned out the dust, and it does get hot the CPU is about 50C at load and the GPU is at 54C at load. Is 50C to hot for the CPU?
Ohh and one more thing i just put back my old 9400gt in the computer and there is no lockup, could it be the video card thats the problem?

Just tried the HD 4650 on my other computer and there was no lock ups, wierd. I dont think its the PSU because i just bought it a week ago thinking it would fix the lock up.

You need to completely remove the old video drivers (uninstall), then run driversweeper (link) to clean out the old ati and nvidia drivers. Then reboot, then download the latest drivers from AMD.com and install.

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2587583]Just tried the HD 4650 on my other computer and there was no lock ups, wierd. I dont think its the PSU because i just bought it a week ago thinking it would fix the lock up.[/QUOTE]

You have two computers with the same Graphics Port? Make sure the Graphics Port on the computer that fails is compatible with the Card. :cool:

To Eric I have already cleaned and even formated but still does not work.
To alchav21 Both computers are PCIe 2.0 x16

[QUOTE=alchav21;2587706]You have two computers with the same Graphics Port? Make sure the Graphics Port on the computer that fails is compatible with the Card. :cool:[/QUOTE]

PCIx16 slots are backwards compatible.

Just gave up fixing the whole thing, computer is old anyways.

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2587917]Just gave up fixing the whole thing, computer is old anyways.[/QUOTE]

Beyond telling us the hardware components knowing the motherboard would go along way in helping to identify the motherboard type and its specs.

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2587403]Hi, my computer has been acting up when I installed the HD 4650, my computer just locks up when playing any Source games (half life 2, portal 2 etc.)[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard this on some podcast somewhere. It might have somehing to do with your sound and graphic drivers.

I assume it did work flawlessly when you had your old video card in the pc?

Is the HD 4650 a power hungry monster? :slight_smile:

If possible, do a clean install on a fresh hdd and test the source games.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2588002]I’ve heard this on some podcast somewhere. It might have somehing to do with your sound and graphic drivers.

I assume it did work flawlessly when you had your old video card in the pc?

Is the HD 4650 a power hungry monster? :slight_smile:

If possible, do a clean install on a fresh hdd and test the source games.[/QUOTE]

The mother Board was MSI 7093, the HD 4650 is not a power hungry monster, and yes i have already formatted the computer.