Computer keeps restarting on its own

I have a simular problem with my computer, It keeps restarting its self. I just wiped out the hard drive and put windows xp home edition on it with service pack 3, and replaced the power supply unit a month ago and it still restarts its self. Why is this happening

It has been set up in Bios to restart after power failure or what it thinks was a power failure.

What type of power supply did you get ?
Is the computer overheating?

Welcome to CD Freaks :wink:

Did you try disabling the Windows auto-restart on crash? By default, Windows will automatically reboot if it suffers a BSOD, which usually makes it appear like someone simply pushed the reset button.

You can disable reboot on BSOD as follows:

[ol]
[li]Go into start, right-click on ‘My Computer’ and click ‘Properties’.[/li][li]Go to the ‘Advanced’ tab and click ‘Settings’ under “Startup and recovery”.[/li][li]Clear the tick from “Automatically Restart” and click ‘OK’ to both dialogues.[/li][/ol]

If you get a BSOD, have a look here or alternatively report back here with the stop code and any file names mentioned on the BSOD.

Another thing worth doing is running an overnight RAM test. Microsoft offers the utility here, which can be written to CD and booted. If there are any hex digits shown (i.e. expected and actual values) in the bottom pane, then the RAM is at fault.

There is a bootable program called Memtest86+ (google it) you can make a bootable cd or floppy disc and boot to it, it will scan you RAM and test it for errors, let that run for a full pass. If there are errors it will show up in red.

Another thing to check is if there is a lot of dust on your MB. You can get a can of compressed air and clean out all of the heatsinks, especially the one one the cpu and video card.

I just got the BSOD and it said
stop: 0x0000008E (oxcoooooo5, ox805677cb,0xf2935c70, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical Memory dump is complete

How do I fix this problem

Unfortunately, this stop error code can be triggered by several different things (bad memory, file system corruption, driver problem, etc.), a bit like the service warning light in some cars. In most cases where I seen this error code (0x0000008E), it was due to either bad RAM or where the RAM was not fully compatible, especially in the case where RAM of two different manufacturers or models are being used.

Like we mentioned earlier, you should try testing the RAM with an overnight test using Microsoft’s Memtest or Memtest86+ (link here). Burn the ISO file as an image (e.g. with Imgburn), then boot the CD and allow the test to run overnight. If you have two modules, try using your PC for one day with one RAM module removed and repeat the next day with the other. If the PC doesn’t give a BSOD with one of them, this likely means the other module is the culprit.

The memory test cd I purchased (cee_gee_girl) I am writing for her. She would like to know how long the test takes? She is into the 16th hours and how do you ready the reports that are showing on the screen? I will be in contact with her via phone with your reply. Thanks

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=hlenaid92664;2294314]The memory test cd I purchased[/quote]Huh? :eek: Memtest86+ is free software.

(cee_gee_girl) I am writing for her. She would like to know how long the test takes? She is into the 16th hours
The test takes forever unless it is interrupted. Having Memtest run for 16 hours should give a good result.
and how do you ready the reports that are showing on the screen? I will be in contact with her via phone with your reply.
If there are errors, this is clearly shown, normally. But I have no idea about the commercial software you have been using. There should be some documentation.

Apart from Memtest86+ (from memtest.org) another free tool is available from Microsoft: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp Please read the documentation before you use it.

Michael

Just so I understand correctly, the test will run and let her know when it is complete?

It depends, typically they will run on a loop, forever. If it has been running that long and no errors have been found, then it is fine.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2294326][I]The test takes forever unless it is interrupted.[/I][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=hlenaid92664;2294336]Just so I understand correctly, the test will run and let her know when it is complete?[/QUOTE]Please read the documentation of the yet unknown tool you bought.

Michael

She had bought the disc for Memtest86+ off of ebay. Sorry for my not stating that sooner.
Thanks for your help

It only needs to run a few hours, you stop it on your own. As long as it doesn’t report any errors then there are none. Either hit escape to restart the PC or just hit the rest button.

ceegeegirl, I’d suggest installing the latest version of Java.
java.com/en/download/index.jsp