Computer keeps freezing?

My computer is freezing all the time.

It’s been doing this for a long time and I don’t know what the problem is.
When it freezes and I press the restart button, the screen goes black and nothing happens. It’s only when I hold the shut down button to turn it off that it doesn’t freeze. Right now I’m trying to install Windows XP and it freezes alot so I don’t know what to do…

Thanks,
Grenaaade

[QUOTE=grenaaade;1959486]My computer is freezing all the time.

It’s been doing this for a long time and I don’t know what the problem is.
When it freezes and I press the restart button, the screen goes black and nothing happens. It’s only when I hold the shut down button to turn it off that it doesn’t freeze. Right now I’m trying to install Windows XP and it freezes alot so I don’t know what to do…

Thanks,
Grenaaade[/QUOTE]

How do you mean freezing ?? Like when does it do that and have you check all your computer heat sinks including the CPU that has been clean so there is no dust build up on the heatsink? And if you have GPU is its’ heatsink cleaned as well? Sounds like your computer is over heating…??? So you should check make sure the CPU heatsink is still contacting the CPU and working properly as well as the GPU heatsink if you have a dedicated GPU card. When was the last time you dust vaccum that inside of your computer? Also is this a desktop or laptop?? Also make sure your card and memory is seated properly and make sure you don’t have memory chips failing as well. So as you see there alot of problem that could be the cause of your system freezing as well also make sure your PS is in a healthy condition as well. But before you can address these issues what is your system setup would go along way to help the rest reading your problem give you solution to look and try to resolve your problem… Also make sure your hardware as in HDD is not failing too…but as I just mentioned we need to know what your system is and all its’ innerads…to know what advice to give you…for your problem

Thanks for the reply.

It’s a desktop and it was made by my older brother…
It could be overheating… it feels hot inside.
I don’t know much about heat sinks or fans but there seems to be a heatsink with a fan on top and a case with a fan in it too.

The fan on the heatsink is working, but I don’t think the other one is.
I have not cleaned the heatsink but I will try to now.

Again, I’m not an expert on computer parts, so if you need something to be clarified I will try to.

Thanks again,
Grenaaade

grenaaade

coolcolors gave you good advice.

The fans…all probably should be running…if there is a fan that is not running please explain where it is located.

The heat sinks look like a block with fins on it…and most times will have a fan on top.

Can you explain if the outside of the case is cool to the touch…at most just should be slightly warm. If not maybe you can explain where it is hot to the touch i.e. top or side?

Not good to run a computer hot if that is your problem…

The fan is located on the top of the back of the computer.
And under closer investigation, it is running, but is very, very dusty.
The heatsink is pretty dusty too, I guess I’ll clean them tomorrow?

I noticed a red light is lit on the motherboard if that is any help…
It is the hottest inside the case, you can’t really notice it on the outside.
It freezes at random times, so it is probably overheating…

I’m just trying to install windows and it keeps freezing half way through.

thanks,

grenaaade

[QUOTE=grenaaade;1959674]The fan is located on the top of the back of the computer.
And under closer investigation, it is running, but is very, very dusty.
The heatsink is pretty dusty too, I guess I’ll clean them tomorrow?

I noticed a red light is lit on the motherboard if that is any help…
It is the hottest inside the case, you can’t really notice it on the outside.
It freezes at random times, so it is probably overheating…

I’m just trying to install windows and it keeps freezing half way through.

thanks,

grenaaade[/QUOTE]

The fan that is located on the top and back of the computer should be your power supply fan. I am not sure what heatsink you refer to as you have not posted here where the heatsink is located (If you are looking inside the power supply then it is just that…).

You should try and get as much dust out as you can…I take mine out in the garage and use an air compresser under (mild pressure) and use something to block the fans from turning(screw driver)…as I do not want to sping the fans too hard with the air…(hard on the fan bearings)

Unplug and turn off the box first before sticking any thing in the box…sometimes their is still power going to the motherboard unless it is unplugged from the wall.

Look on both sides of the video card for a fan also…if you have an add in video card.

Your problem could be heat, flaky hardware, or corrupted sofware (windows)…so I suppose the first step would be to get as much dust out as you can.

Good Luck
PS I do not know what the red light is on the motherboard…may be just a power indicator or maybe showing an error condition (Try to find in your motherboard manual or computer manual…if it has a red light the documation should tell you what the red light is for). Maybe some one here can help you on that…but you need to be more specific as to what your computer specs are so people here can be of more help.

One more point…You can run your computer with the side off (maybe even point a box fan towards it for more cooling…if it is then stable with the box fan blowing air on the components…you would know you are dealing with a heat problem. With the side is off…check severl time for fans turning…maybe you have one that runs/stops…then runs again…

My motherboard is an ECS K7SEM…

It doesn’t freeze randomly anymore, I think because I tried resetting my BIOS to it’s Fail-Safe Defaults.

It is still restarting itself after I try to install windows but then it says “Operating system not found”

Any ideas? This is my main concern right now, getting windows running.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Grenaaade

sounds like a Hard Drive problem.

If you reset your bios…the bios may not be set up to boot from you hard drive (worth checking at this point). Go into bios and look at your boot tab,make sure your hard drive is listed as your fist boot drive.

It could be just what CCRomeo said a hard drive problem…it could also be corrupted windows install (I think most here prob install windows fresh about once every year (I am sure I will be corrected if wrong).

Since it was booting before…and you went into the bios…made a change…then it would not boot…I would look for something in bios causing this boot problem (shuch as what I listed above).

I did not want to tell you to go into the bios as you seem to have limited knowledge…but as long as you are there…there should be a tab to tell you what temp your cpu is running at…if you find it let us know what temp it is running at (and what cpu are you running )

(if in windows xp…start, right click on my computer, then left click on properties…this will tell you what cpu you are running, what operating system and what version)…that is if you can get back into windows…this will give you info on your cpu brand and model. There should be a tab in the bios also to give you this information (cpu and model).

Did you clean the dust out of the box and fans before trying the bios settings?

Did you take the side cover off and point a box fan at the opening to keep it cool for testing?

Also… as far as freeze…what you you doing at the time…is it always using the same program? Is it just sitting there…again…the more specific the detail…the more information people will have here to give you help.

As a note…I have had my computer freeze from the gpu getting hot (video card)…when running a game and putting a heavy load on both the cpu and video card (I found a way to better cool the video card). I have also run across this problem with a corrupt windows install (I reinstalled windows), as well as a hard drive that was going bad (I replaced the hard drive). There are also other things that could cause this freeze probel I.E. Power Supply going bad or a program you happen to be using at the time… which is why I say details…details!!! The more the better.

Good Luck

Well it hasn’t been freezing anymore since I changed the BIOS to default, but I’m trying to install Windows XP and after it copies the windows installation files it tells me it needs to restart to continue, so I restart but it says “Operating system not found” So maybe the disk isn’t working? I have a Windows 2k disk also, so I could install that, then maybe upgrade?

I reset the BIOS before I cleaned the dust out, but I noticed the computer isn’t as loud after I cleaned it out, and both fans are running.

Thanks,

Grenaaade

EDIT:

Scratch that, the windows 2k disk is an upgrade disk, I think the windows xp one might be also…
I have a windows vista one that is full, and so I tried that but it says “BOOTMGR missing” so I searched around for a solution, but none worked…

I only have a full install of windowsxp and when I do a fresh install…It always gives me the option of formating the disc first which I do…best for a fresh install.

If you are using an upgrade…some one else will have to chime in here…I would assume you have to have restore discs to get to what ever orig version of windows you had before…then use the upgrade…but there may be a way around that…but I can not help you on that one as I have never done it that way.

BTW If this helps:

On a fresh windows install…

I set my first boot device for my optical drive (where you windows install cd is)…i keep it like that untill windows in fully installed…even on the first reboot (and do not touch any thing on the first reboot…the install will just continue). After windows is fully installed…I go back into bios and set my first boot device to my hard drvie…hope this helps:bigsmile:

Well that might work but the problem is that it asks me if I want to boot from CD, it doesnt just do it. I even tried putting the CD as the only boot device but it still asked me.

I found the computer temperature:

CPU Temperature: 39’C
System Temperature: 38’C
CPU Fan Speed: 4821-4829 RPM
Case Fan Speed: 0 RPM

[QUOTE=grenaaade;1960739]I found the computer temperature:

CPU Temperature: 39’C
System Temperature: 38’C
CPU Fan Speed: 4821-4829 RPM
Case Fan Speed: 0 RPM[/QUOTE]

cpu temp is good (no matter what make/model)
System Temps is good
cpu fan speed (good as it is keeping your cpu cool)
Case Fan Speed=Bad…your case fan is in front or rear of your box (I am not talking about your power supply) and if you have multiple fans…you may have a couple in back and a couple in front.

I take it you checked your case fans right?? More then likely if your case fans are running…they are just not connected to your mother board fan sensors…as the case temp is fine.

[I]I dont know where the case fan is, but does it make a difference if the temperature is fine?

Do you know of any setting in BIOS that makes it boot from CD without asking?
Cause when I try to install Windows it has to reboot and it’s not working after it reboots.

Thanks,

Grenaaade
[/I]

On the first reboot…it should just continue loading from the cd…then after another 10-15 min of loading files from the cd for the windows install…it should go into the windows screen…and want to set your internet up and such (This is on windowsxp). and give you a windows tour.

Then you should be able to reboot and hit what ever key is needed to get back into your bios (it should tell you this in your users manual)…you can then set your bios to boot from your hard drive.

The key to go into the bios varies depending on what bios you have…most times it is F3, F8, or delete key or F9 key.

Use what ever key you used to get into your bios setup where you found your temps…there should be some sort of boot tab…you may be able to set it up for fist second third and maybe even a 4th boot deive.

**Yours may already be setip that way (more then one boot device)…so remove your windows cd from your optical drive…(that si after your windows is finished installing and beofre your second reboot).

Like CCRomeo said…you may be running into a hard drive problem?

That is about all I can think of with the information you have given me. I do not know what kind of computer you have (I.E. on a Dell and other store bought systems…you have resore windows cds…)…some times there is just a key combo that your hit and it resores your windows from a hidden partition??

I wish I could help you more…mabye another more experienced member can jump in here and help you??

Good Luck

It sure sounds like you left your windows install cd in your optical drive…take it out and try a reboot before you do any thing else!

After windows has to reboot for the first time, if I don’t press the key to boot from its CD again, it says “Operating system not found”

If I do press the key, it just starts from the beginning.

There is no brand on the computer, it was custom-made by my older brother. I can tell you that the motherboard is a 'ECS K7SEM (V 1.0)

I know about boot order and stuff, and the CD Drive is in the first boot device slot, and it will ask me if I want to boot off the CD when the computer starts, but the Windows install won’t work.

grenaaade

Sorry I could not help you more…

I think you need to contact your brother who built it for you…or wait for a reply from another member here.

CCRomeo may be correct in saying it is your hard drive…it is looking more and more like that is what the problem is.

The only suggestion I can think of right now is looking inside your case…seeing what hard drive you have (make/model)…and go to the hard drive manufacture site…they will have a list of tools to diagnose your hard drive…

You might also try www.sysopt.com as ther are some good hardware guys who hang out there…they may be able to help some more if you get no response here from other members.

Since your symtoms have changed from freeze to not being able to install windows…you might also try a new post in the newb section (since you have a different problem…I do not think this would be considered a double post…so you should be able to do this under the rules of the forum).

I am kind of new here myself…but I am decent at hardware most times…but I am at a loss as to what your problem is…

Good luck man…