Computer keeps crashing

vbimport

I bought my computer from ibuypower.com about 6 months ago brand new for about $1,200. I dont know how reliable they are but i was recomended to them by a reliable friend. Anyways, my computer started crashing about 3 weeks ago. It can run high demanding games, like team fortress 2, and age of conan, etc on the highest graphics/settings just fine. I run the game for about 10-15 minutes before it crashes without warning. It freezes on the screen, (doesnt turn black), and the mouse is unresponsive. The audio plays whatever sound was played last over and over again. Only way to fix it is to restart the computer. It does this for any game, really undemaning old ones, to new ones. I do not over-clock or anything. I have left everything stock since i bought it, havent even tampered with it. I dont know what to do. Anyways here are the specs of the computer:

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2399 Mhz
4 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported

Windows Version:
Windows Vista (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.11.7516
DirectX Driver Version: 7.15.11.7516
Driver Date: 3 May 2008
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x193
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Desktop Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Primary Display Size: 23.35" x 14.57" (27.48" diag)
59.3cm x 37.0cm (69.8cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 640 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memory:
RAM: 3581 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 476937 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 310502 Mb
OS Install Date: Oct 03 2007
Installed Packages: ,Windows Firewall

If it is always happening around the same time frame, it is likely either the graphics card overheating, your cpu overheating, or a bad PSU.

Does it play fine if you lower the graphics settings? Have you tried leaving the case open and seeing if it works then? Does your graphics card have a fan on it or is it fanless?

I tried lowering the graphics settings but it still crashes. No i have not tried running with the side open, and yes the graphics card does have a fan on it. Whenever it crashes though, i opened the comp, felt the graphics card, it did feel really hot. i dont know how hot they are meant to be get but it did feel hot. Ill try the open side now.

Welcome to clubCDfreaks Leonwolfendale :cool:

Yeah sounds like your video card is overheating. Try first downloading the latest nvidia drivers /uninstall the current ones/, reboot and install the new ones. second download Ntune from nvidia and install that. ntune allows you to adjust the fan speed of the video card, it will be under the performance settings of the Nvidia control panel. when I play a game I set my fan speed to 80 percent and its fine.

Another thing to look for is an updated bios from your video card vendor, I know for my Evga card they addressed the overheating issue with a bios update that changes the temp:fanspeed settings.

I don’t know how the newer Intel CPU’s do but if it is anything like the older P4’s it would just
slow down and not lock up the system. Now video cards on the other hand can just get way
too hot and lock up the system completely which sounds like what your’s is doing. But then on
the other hand it could possibly be your power supply getting over heated also, I’ll agree with
what harley2ride said just take the side off and see if the freeze ups go away and while you’re
in there make sure there isn’t any dust covering any of the components like the fans, heat sink,
and check to make sure the PS and CPU fans are running. I had a person bring a system to me
for repair that was basically doing the same as your system is doing only it would just freeze up
just surfing the net or not doing anything on it at all just setting there at idle. The very first
thing I did was to check the fans and sure enough the power supply fan wasn’t even running at
all so I replaced the PS cleaned out all of the dust bunnies and all was well after that. :iagree:

I appreciate everyone’s advice and help with this matter. I tried running it without the side on, it still crashed. I cleaned everything out inside the computer with an air duster and made sure all the fans were working. All of them are, so im guessing the video card is over heating. That or the PSU. Ill try that ntune thing now, ill respond if it works or not.

Im using the ntune program and found out my graphics card started at 61 degrees celcius. I ran a game, World of Warcraft, and it steadily increased to 65 degrees. I set the fan to 90% and its gone back down to 59 degrees. I dont know what a good temperature is for a GPU to be running at but as of now its running at a constant 58 degrees. I havent run a game for a while, so im going to try that and see if it continues to crash. I appreciate everyones help! :slight_smile:

can anyone please help me with this error? thank you.

7/1/2008 7:12:09 PM error BURN: Write error at 0 (16) - Code 05 2C 00 [Illegal request, Command sequence error]
7/1/2008 7:12:09 PM info BURN: Write started 1047968 sectors to write
7/1/2008 7:12:09 PM info BURN: Init success: DVD-R DAO
7/1/2008 7:12:09 PM info BURN: Writing speed requested x4.0, effective x4.0
7/1/2008 7:12:08 PM info BURN: Available write speed: 8x, 4x
7/1/2008 7:12:08 PM info BURN: Media ID: SONY16D1
7/1/2008 7:12:08 PM info BURN: Media type: DVD-R
7/1/2008 7:12:08 PM info BURN: DMA Mode
7/1/2008 7:12:06 PM info BURN: Scanned files #8, folder #2 - total size 2145128448 b. (2 Gb.)
7/1/2008 7:12:06 PM info BURN: Inserted media type : DVD-R
7/1/2008 7:12:06 PM info BURN: Write started
7/1/2008 7:12:05 PM info Disc name: “H.P.1-Philosopher’s.Stone[2001]D”

Try installing the latest version of your burning software. Second install the latest firmware for your burner.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There is a strong consensus that you have a heat problem. My advice would be to give ibuypower a call and see what they can do about it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2086840]Try installing the latest version of your burning software. Second install the latest firmware for your burner.

Welcome to the forum :)[/QUOTE]

how do i install firmware?

[QUOTE=MECHApilot4;2086858]how do i install firmware?[/QUOTE]

Check the CD/DVD burner forum. The instructions can be found there, with a little searching…

So yeah, it crashed again last night. I found out that when i play the most demanding game, Team fortress 2, for me, the GPU slowly increases in temperature. It was at 51 degrees without running anything with fan speed at 100%, and then i ran TF2 and after about, 15 minutes, i checked the temp and it was at 66 degrees. I do not know the temperature that the nVidia 8800 GST can get to, but for me i think it crashes around 70 degrees. Is the only option to get some other kind of external cooling? or is it the graphics card and providers fault and maybe they could send me a different one?

[QUOTE=Leonwolfendale;2087359]So yeah, it crashed again last night. I found out that when i play the most demanding game, Team fortress 2, for me, the GPU slowly increases in temperature. It was at 51 degrees without running anything with fan speed at 100%, and then i ran TF2 and after about, 15 minutes, i checked the temp and it was at 66 degrees. I do not know the temperature that the nVidia 8800 GST can get to, but for me i think it crashes around 70 degrees. Is the only option to get some other kind of external cooling? or is it the graphics card and providers fault and maybe they could send me a different one?[/QUOTE]

Leon. Does your videocard have a fan on it? If so does it appear to be working correctly. Is it heating up even when you leave the case open?