Computer is suddenly slow on burning speeds

vbimport

I have had no problem with how fast my computer’s burn speeds in the past. Last Wednesday night we had thunderstorms in the area and Thursday evening when we turned on the computer it would not power up all the way. I took it in to be checked and they said the cord and burned. I got a new cord and everything worked fine until i tried to burn a DVD. What used to take 30 minutes is now taking almost 2 hours or it fails. My processor seems ok on the speed for everything else I have tried, but just not on the burn speeds. Can anyone help me on this issue.

EMachine
3500 + Processor
2.2 GHz / 512 KB L2 Cache
200 GB Hard Drive

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a DMA issue - see the link in my signature (How to check/enable DMA) and follow the instructions inside. :wink:

yeah welcome to CDF’s:

Is that an eternal burner,PATA, or SATA burner…what brand/model is it?

I did see a similar thread on the DMA issue and I did go in and check it and it seemed like it was enabled. I will check it again to make sure.

It is the DVD burner that came with the computer. Also, I thought I wold try and play a movie and as soon as I hit play movie it would just set there. I don’t know if the processor was having problems getting the movie to run or what.

[QUOTE=oksooner1;2037547]I did see a similar thread on the DMA issue and I did go in and check it and it seemed like it was enabled. I will check it again to make sure.

It is the DVD burner that came with the computer. Also, I thought I wold try and play a movie and as soon as I hit play movie it would just set there. I don’t know if the processor was having problems getting the movie to run or what.[/QUOTE]I’ts probably in PIO mode…do what Arachne said.

The secondary one was in PIO mode. I just had a successful burn, but it did take over an hour where it used to take maybe 30 minutes. At least it worked. Thanks

Usually what causes it is read errors…

What is the brand of discs you use? Did you change brands recently?

I usually use Sony and Memorex. I have had some brands that were cheap and failed frequently. I don’t usually seem to have trouble with those two brands.

[QUOTE=oksooner1;2037633]I usually use Sony and Memorex. I have had some brands that were cheap and failed frequently. I don’t usually seem to have trouble with those two brands.[/QUOTE]k if you have anymore trouble you might get some bad crappy discs.