Computer gone mute

computer , Compaq Laptop is now totally mute.
Not only are neither of the music playing programs, winamp Sonicstage or Windows Media Player making sound as they play. But every other signal noise from the computer is gone.

I uninstalled Audacity which I thought was the cause and still no sound. Looking at the audio set up everything looks right. nothing is showing as muted.
Is there anything verging on obvious that could be wrong? Any reconfiguration of anything that might turn sound back on?

it’s a Compaq laptop that was running sound through built in speakers. These must have been working earlier while audacity was still installed because sound was coming from that. I managed to edit some files I had saved.
This is doing my head in since it means I can’t play soundfiles through the computer which is the main source for music in this room.

What model Compaq laptop do you have? Look for all the numbers of your model. What operating system? You probably have an audio codec for sound, maybe you should check the Compaq site for an audio driver for your model and reinstall it. You can also check your Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel and run Troubleshoot to see if any problems are found. Or maybe the volume slider somehow got turned all the way down.

I have had this problem before after I used windows media player. What happened was I muted the sound and closed WMP down and after I did that I had no sound. How I found out how to fix this is I opened up WMP and played the problem DVD and seen that I had it muted so I unmuted it and I had sound again. Also go into your sound options to make sure you not have them muted too

might take a look at this driver thing but thought that music playing in audacity would mean this couldn’t be the problem.
Also checking the control panel area of Sounds & audio devices there was nothing obviously wrong. To clarify, all sounds were unmuted visibly as far as I could see no boxes ticked, no sliders all the way down. & yet no sound.
Could it be the setting ? I have choice of USB Audio codec or soundmax digital audio, have tried switching between the 2 and still no sound. Is there something missing?

while rechecking the sound audio devices section I used the hardware check tool & it said hardware was not making sounds. which is true obviously, though i thought it was to do with settings. & I can’t reconcile this with being able to hear the playback on the audacity file I was editing. So is that something reinstalling the driver will fix?

Is this a problem that installing audacity frequently triggers? I mean is it likely to repeat if I reinstall it? Otherwise I don’t know how I’m going to run the USB turntable for WAV.

Also is the age of this computer, being from around the turn of the decade, still running on USB 1:1 likely to be relevant? Seemed to work ok right up until the installation of the audacity for the USB turntable anyway.

If nothing else works they make a USB sound adapter for laptops.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2219769]What model Compaq laptop do you have? Look for all the numbers of your model. What operating system? You probably have an audio codec for sound, maybe you should check the Compaq site for an audio driver for your model and reinstall it. You can also check your Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel and run Troubleshoot to see if any problems are found. Or maybe the volume slider somehow got turned all the way down.[/QUOTE]

Without answering the question posed your not going to get the correct help?? When was the last time you did a restore from the cds on the laptop to factory settings?