Computer doesn't boot up after installing a combo drive

vbimport

Hi all,

One of my brother’s friends decided to leave the country and left with us two PCs. I decided to make use of what my old rig has and and combine all three rigs into just one. Here’s what I end up with:

Pentium 4 2.4GHZ
ASUS P4PE
512MB RAM (didn’t check the manufacturer)
Maxtor 40GB HD (formatted into two partitions, has WinXP installed in one of them)
Western Digital 40GB HD (one partition, has Win98SE installed)
LG Combo drive of unknown model

Now everything is fine and dandy WITHOUT the LG drive. I have the two HDs on separate IDE channels (with the Maxtor as the boot device) and I could use both normally. However, as soon as I plug in the LG combo drive, it gets stuck forever at WinXP loading screen (the one with “Microsoft Windows XP” in the middle and a blue animated bar running below). I have tried so many combinations it’s not even funny. In fact, even if I only have the Matrox and LG (both are set to master sitting on different channels, Maxtor on primary of course) the computer won’t get pass the boot screen.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hmm, nevermind. I managed to fix this problem. Turns out it’s the IDE cable. Replaced it with a 80pin and all is well now. :slight_smile: