Computer crashed wtf

compaq presario s4020wm
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00021854&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=326832&lang=en

2 gig of ram, 320 seagate hdd, radeon 9250 video card windows xp all updates.

my computer started freezing so i decided to reformat and reinstall xp sp2. the xp install disc will load drivers but the keyboard would not function. restarted the computer and tried again several times, same thing. its a PS/2 keyboard. windows 2000 professional installed just fine. tried xp again and still the keyboard will not function.

decided just to use windows 2000, things seemed to be going good. installed a few programs and drivers from a backup disc. hooked up the internet and was updating ie6 then the computer froze.

now i can not do anything with the computer, xp install will not work, win 2000 install freezes after loading drivers at starting windows message. windows 98 gives an error about hard drive is corrupt.

ive taken out the video card swapped ram and tried different hard drives. no luck. :sad:

edit// i can get into win 2000 safe mode

Try running memtest86 for a few hours
//Danne

Your computer is pretty old, could be a few things.

Make sure the memory is good like Danne said. Try just one stick of 1gb to start, make sure Memtest86+ shows no errors.

Make sure the cpu cooler isn’t plugged with dust, it could be overheating. Use a program like speedfan to make sure the cpu temp is something reasonable, should be below 50C.

Get a volt meter and make sure there is 12V at a molex connector (yellow to black), make sure there is 5V (red to black).

Also check for bad capacitors.
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
Look for the slightest discoloration or swelling at the top of the cap.
The caps at the CPU area are the most prone.

thank you for your replies. as of now im just using a free computer i received from a friend.

HP Pavillion a335w

installed my video card, RAM, dvd drives and seagate hard drive. had some trouble getting windows 2000 to properly recognize the hard drive. but XP is going smooth so far.

windows 2000 would report the hard drive was 130 gigs with 4 partitions. 2 unpartitioned sections, 1 24 gig partition and 1 82 gig partition. the unpartitioned areas were reported at over 300 gigs each?? but the full size was only 130??

anyways used gparted to make one large partition and win 2000 would properly recognize the hard drive but would not properly install. after coping the windows files and restarting windows would not load. tried probably 6 times. after each try windows would go back to seeing 4 partitions, had to use gparted again betweeen retries.

used gparted then installed xp, so far so good. doubt i will even try using the compaq again. :frowning:

is it possible to get some of the lost data from my hard drive??? :bigsmile:

This is because the “large drive” support hasn’t been installed yet. Even when you format with WXP, you’ll see the same symptom. After patching with SP, the entire capacity can be seen.

[QUOTE=KTL;2196460]This is because the “large drive” support hasn’t been installed yet. Even when you format with WXP, you’ll see the same symptom. After patching with SP, the entire capacity can be seen.[/QUOTE]

Actually you want to have XP slipstreamed with SP3 for it to properly see the larger HDD when you go to do a fresh install. That is the best way to first start. Patching after I would highly recommend not doing. It’s best to slipstream XP to SP3 thus your have a XP SP3 cd to format right away and it will recognize the larger HDD. I know it takes time to do this but this is the best solution to start.

is it possible to get some of the lost data from my hard drive???

Yes Just hook the drive up as a slave drive and get what you need from it that way.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2195124]Try running memtest86 for a few hours
//Danne[/QUOTE]

thank you for your suggestion. i would have however the memory has been swapped out with same results. i am not familiar with the results of running memtest. will/can memtest diagnose problems with other areas of computer hardware?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2195267]Your computer is pretty old, could be a few things.

Make sure the memory is good like Danne said. Try just one stick of 1gb to start, make sure Memtest86+ shows no errors.

Make sure the cpu cooler isn’t plugged with dust, it could be overheating. Use a program like speedfan to make sure the cpu temp is something reasonable, should be below 50C.

Get a volt meter and make sure there is 12V at a molex connector (yellow to black), make sure there is 5V (red to black).[/QUOTE]

getting a volt meter is beyond my knowledge. :doh:

[QUOTE=jflan;2195541]Also check for bad capacitors.
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
Look for the slightest discoloration or swelling at the top of the cap.
The caps at the CPU area are the most prone.[/QUOTE]

ok too much info :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=KTL;2196460]This is because the “large drive” support hasn’t been installed yet. Even when you format with WXP, you’ll see the same symptom. After patching with SP, the entire capacity can be seen.[/QUOTE]

actually WXP SP2 recognized all the drive capacity. however this was after using gparted. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bean55;2196486]Yes Just hook the drive up as a slave drive and get what you need from it that way.[/QUOTE]

even after its been reformatted numerous times and corrupted???

i tried using Restorer 2000 but could not get it to work properly. oh well the data was not that important anyways. :cool:

the HP computer is working so far and for the price i can not complain. :slight_smile:

Opinion noted, but I never had problems with patching afterwards. Does it take longer, sure, but that’s fine with me.

[QUOTE=KTL;2197463]Opinion noted, but I never had problems with patching afterwards. Does it take longer, sure, but that’s fine with me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and agreed. :iagree:

Sidenote: I just acquired a multimeter from my step-dad (an electrician). Handy thing to have in one’s toolkit. :wink:

@Troy - might be a bit difficult to access your data now I should think. :wink: