Computer Cases

vbimport

I am currently looking for a new case for my computer, as i am fed up with having hard disks blue-tacked down to the bottom of my current one. I am looking for a good quality midi tower case, ( i dont really want a full tower case) preffrably one that look nice.

The main problem is that i have 4 7200 RPM hard disks that tend to get very hot, especally when one on top of the other, so i am really looking for a case that has at least 7x3.5" drive bays (i dont have a floppy drive) so i can get some fans blowing air over them - This is quite a problem as i can only find nice cases that have at most 4x3.5" and usually only 3x3.5" drive bays. I am more than happy to add extra 3.5" cages to a case if there is room, and they can be fitted easily.

What i would like to know is if anyone has any recomendations/surgestions/ideas :slight_smile:

How about this one ? The overclockers.com website has some great reviews about cool pc cases.

And if you got the case you might want to look at this nice one.

I have an ASUS case (midi-tower) for one of my P4’s. The PC contains 5 Harddisks, including 10.000rpm SCSI-disks.

2 disks are in 3,5" bays, with the floppy inbetween. Another is attached upside down on a special removable “rail”. And 2 SCSI disks are connected to a construction along the PCI-slots. This construction can be opened like a “door” when you want to reach the PCI-slots. It’s just the standard ASUS- case, so I haven’t been fooling around with unstable rails or whatsoever.

The PC is designed for pretty heavy applications like video and audio-editting and there hasn’t been any problem with harddisks getting hot. So I advice you to get an ASUS-case :slight_smile:
Looks pretty cool too.

I was looking at a Global Win 802 (read about here)

Which can be had from Overclockers.co.uk remarkably cheaply, especially the black version which is £10 ($15us) cheaper than an otherwise identical white one :eek:.

Ahanix who make the case Mr. Belvedere recomended do a good variety of quite cool cases ( hard to pick the best one :slight_smile: ) The only problem with them is i can’t find a UK supplier who stocks them :frowning: .

What i dont like the look of about them is that the PSU mounting dosent look very sturdy, and they dont have a slide out MB tray, or easy drive mounting like the Global Win 802. In there favour though they do have a frount mounted firewire port and others + they all seem to have some cool gizmo on the frount like a temperature sensor, or light etc. :slight_smile:

As for the case Wannes is talking about i cant find a mention of it on the Asus web site :frowning: so if someone knows some where where i can find out about it can they say, because i am quite an asus fan ( i have an Asus MB, graphics card and usb 2.0 card :slight_smile: )

Comments from people who have any of theses cases would also be appreciated :).

Well as unfortunatly i cant seem to find a uk supplier for teh Ahanix cases (and Ahanix is yet to reply to my e-mail requesting a list of UK stockists after 2 day) its looking like its going to be a Black Global Win 802 from overclockers.co.uk, unless someone has something to add or a recomendation to make.

Originally posted by nb-
Well as unfortunatly i cant seem to find a uk supplier for teh Ahanix cases (and Ahanix is yet to reply to my e-mail requesting a list of UK stockists after 2 day) its looking like its going to be a Black Global Win 802 from overclockers.co.uk, unless someone has something to add or a recomendation to make.

I think you’ve got quite an excellent case with this choiche.
Show us some pictures when you’ve got the stuff all built in :slight_smile:

Well it will be arriving on Monday I knew I should have ordered it at 3pm not 3am when I got back from the pub or it would have been here today :cool:

nb- :
I figured out why you couldn’t find info about the case I described; it was my mistake.
The reason why I thought it was an ASUS-case, was a small sticker on the front. I assumed it was the case-lable, but when taking a closer look it said ‘ASUS inside’ referring to the mainboard which is ASUS :o. Sorry for confusing you; it wasn’t on purpose.

PS. I have no idea what brand the case is now; I can’t find any lable on it. It has a cool design though, so it shouldn’t be unbranded with those blue side-panels and a cool front.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]How about this one ? The overclockers.com website has some great reviews about cool pc cases.

And if you got the case you might want to look at this nice one. [/B]

Damn! My god that is some horrible cabling in that case (no offense to the case)

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
[B]

Damn! My god that is some horrible cabling in that case (no offense to the case) [/B]

i think he had to give the case back otherwise he would have taped some things together :slight_smile:

I really like my HP case. (Hey, it’s a good HP. See, here’s how it works. Pavilion=bad. Vectra=good. I have a Vectra) I can do most things without tools. The case has this convenient handle to open it. The cards are held in place by this metal strip that goes where screws normally would (you can install screws over it too, if you want. The drives are all in easy swap trays (well, you have to screw them into the tray, but after that it’s clear sailing). The hard drive tray is turned sideways which works out well for some reason. If anyone knows where I can buy Vectra cases used or new besides HP, post it or email me.

Thanks Wannes, np.

The Black Global Win 802 turned up today @ 9:00 sharp :bigsmile:

I have a slight problem with part of it though :frowning: and cabling.

I will bang some pictures up to show you the problem when i get them off my digital cammera, and some pictures of it all fitted out (for Mr. Belvedere’s benefit) when i have moved all the bits across. :slight_smile:

I was planning on setting upone it with a jig saw, some perpex, and some leds, but on seeing it in the flesh i am less keen on the idea now… :frowning:

Update on UK Ahanix supplier: Yesturday (Monday) i recived and email from 3Rsystems (who are presumably the parent company) a week after i sent my one to Ahanix saying that their UK stockist is
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk
and to contact the sales@avgs-tech.co.uk.

At least they did reply…eventually.

Well the Problems with the case. The pictures are fairly self explanitory.

Ahh my flat ide cables are not long enough, or flexible enough.

Solution…

i didnt want to try this with a cable i actually needed, just incase it didnt work properly.

Problem 2 ahhhh again my 50cm IDE cables come up short again :(…

Just that Fraction too short. So i now have 2 70cm IDE calbes on order. I didnt want ot order round IDE cables, because the IDE conectors have large bits of casing around them, that i didnt want to have to pay twice the price of a normal ide cable just to have to cut them off to get my case to shut.

Aside from the IDE cable length problems, which would have been fine if I wanted to put each of the top hard disks on there own IDE channel, the motherboard tray was also very annoying. I think the motherboard try had the ATX motherboard mounting lugs in slightly the wrong place, which made it very difficult indeed to plug PCI cards in. Once I had screwed the motherboard in, the backing plate was too close to the PCI and particularly AGP slots, none the cards would physically fit. There needed to be about 2mm more gap between the card slots, and back plate for them to fit comfortably so I had to bend the tray to get every thing to fit at all :(. Apart from that there is very little to criticize the case for other than the sides, and top were in only two pieces, not three.

All the bits you get;

Front view without the façade.

Well here are the other views, for Mr. Belvedere’s interest.

man, sounds like a real hassle, hope everything turns out ok for you.

But even though you’ve already found a case if anyone else is looking and stumbles across this post : http://www.xoxide.com/
Very nice cases, you can order them with modifications and everything and for you OC’ers you can buy a water cooling system (i wouldnt trust my self to do hydraulics in my computer) and some cool case mods