Computer cannot recognize ripped dvd-r

vbimport

hey everyone. I am new to this forum and plan on staying a while since I always have a question about how to use my computer devices most effectively. I know a thing or two about computers.

Basically what I am trying to do is free up memory on my desktop computer to make it run a bit faster and store all my music files and video clips on a DVD-R disk with 4.7gb since CD’s are not as big. My computer will not to read a blank DVD-R disk when I put in the DVD ROM drive. I can burn cd-r disks and play DVD movies. The computer is an Windows XP and it has a MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8588 and LITE-ON LTR-40125S which I found in device manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives. I’m not sure what to do, but I tried a trial an error. I burned some music on the dvd-r on my other computer, XPS M1530, finalized it, and tried playing it on my desktop computer. I get nothing, I go to my computer and double click the dvd drive, the error message says, “D:\ is not accessible” “The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable”
It plays fine on my laptop but I cannot get my other computer to read it whether its a blank disk or not. I just want to be able to have a blank DVD and rip all my music and videos on to it to free up memory on my computer. I’ve probably done 10 hours of research in the last 7 days trying to figure out how to get this to work and if not, why not? I have come across this site several times and finally joined! Any advice is appreciated.

Help? :bow:

MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8588 and LITE-ON LTR-40125S

both drives are old and matshita drives are pieces of dvd-rom shita. :slight_smile:

sorry.

yeah I know they are old, like 5 years old. But if i can play DVD movies on it, why aren’t I able to play music files on a DVD-r I made? Can anyone give me an explanation why my drive cannot read my dvd-r disk but can read dvd movies?

Can anyone give me an explanation why my drive cannot read my dvd-r disk but can read dvd movies?

the lite-on is a cd drive and i wouldnt waste any more time with the matshita

Hmm, damn that sucks for me. Well then what is the best way for me to free up space on my computer and store these files for when I need them? My computer can burn files onto a CD-r, but then I would need about 50 Cd’s which is not practical at all.

Can I use a usb flash drive 16gb to store my music and video files? I know its not wha it is meant for, but I don’t know what else I can use.

One drive is a dvd-rom drive meaning it can only read DVDs and not write them. The other one as already mentioned is a cd recorder, so no dvd recording for that also.

I would advise you to just invest 20$ to buy a new dvd recorder. Not very expensive anymore and even if your PC is rather old it should be possible to handle at least 4x recording speeds.

flash drives are becoming more popular and some companies are making larger flash drives to compete with current hard drives.

if you really want to use dvd media then just get a new drive from newegg. i would recommend the optiarc 7200A. newegg has one for 21.99 and free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011