Computer cannot find cd

vbimport

I burn my digital photos to a cd-rw for backup before I burn them to a cd-r. I am using Nero 5.5.9.13. I can put the cd into the drive and it is found for a week or so. Then I will put it into the drive and Windows XP cannot find the cd or the data on it. Why does it work fine for a while and then start having problems after a week or two. Could it have anything to do with XP2? I cannot remember if the problem started right after I installed SP2 or if was later. I have since updated to 5.5.10.56. I don’t know if this was the problem or not.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Ken

try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.

2. Close the registry editor and restart the machine.

Im not sure that I know what an Upperfilter or lowerfilter is. Would that cause my sytem to be able to read the cd for a few weeks and then not even be able to find it after that?
Ken

Would that cause my sytem to be able to read the cd for a few weeks and then not even be able to find it after that? - no, but i have no other suggestions ;-(

Probably bad media. Try brand name CD-RWs.

I was using Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW. I thought that may be the problem, but it did the same thing on another brand of CD’s. I have a feeling that it has something to do with SP2. But I have no way of confirming that. I did update from Nero 5.5.9.13 to 5.5.10.56.

I learned a long time ago not to use memorex for anything you want to keep

Also remove and clean install Nero. Try the CD-RW disc with another PC. Also avoid packet writing software like InCD or Direct CD.