Compusa Risen from the Bankrupcy/Liquidation Grave

vbimport

Like so many cliche risen from the grave zombies, Compusa makes a return appearance in Flordia (primarily), Texas and Puerto Rico:

http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/index.asp?CMP=ILC-FPM14

Weird… I thought bankruptcy was retail death sentence for most electronics companies… and they have completely lost consumer confidence in many retail markets around the U.S. already… (including me)

let them stay in there grave

They are now operated by TigerDirect.

They are now Systemax Company which is parent company of Tiger Direct. Theor catalog said “Its All New CompUSA” on the cover, which I received it about a month ago, I guess they used my address from previous order for all those free after rebate clearance.
However my impression for their new catalog is they will going to close down again. Because every single thing they sell is priced at above other retail store price, even higher than old CompUSA. All those refurb they sell is also much more expensive than comparable brand new item.

[QUOTE=SOCALUS;2037938]They are now Systemax Company which is parent company of Tiger Direct. Theor catalog said “Its All New CompUSA” on the cover, which I received it about a month ago, I guess they used my address from previous order for all those free after rebate clearance.
However my impression for their new catalog is they will going to close down again. Because every single thing they sell is priced at above other retail store price, even higher than old CompUSA. All those refurb they sell is also much more expensive than comparable brand new item.[/QUOTE]

I won’t be surprised, this company and its management never learn a lesson.

Bankruptcy is not a death sentence, it allows companys to reorganize, and start over again.

Welcome To Tigerdirect!

[QUOTE=Boxcutterz;2042373]Bankruptcy is not a death sentence, it allows companys to reorganize, and start over again.

Welcome To Tigerdirect![/QUOTE]

:aYeah and charge a arm and leg for shipping to Hawaii.:Z
They charge more than any other online retailer for shipping. I took my name off the ComstupidUsa list! :bigsmile:

In the online space they will have to face reality that companies like Amazon.com, Buy.com and Newegg.com exist with LOWER PRICES!
Even if they undercut the competition to make sales, I believe they damaged their brand name with the raw deals consumers got as they closed their stores… consumers couldn’t walk in to get their products serviced and thus voided their extended warranties, rebates which were not paid, and in other cases made it difficult to buy products during their liquidation sales run like a pawn shop list of terms and conditions. That may be fine for other businesses but in the technology sector, they’re in for a rude awakening about how successful businesses are run which they must compete against.

I doubt CompUsa can be a success again. It’s better to rename the store as CompUsa brings up bad memories for most.
:Z

Has anyone seen the prices on their website?
Extremely competitive on most items!!

There is one store left in my city and a recent visit left me utterly impressed.
The selection was second to no other local retail stores.

They have eliminated the “proprietary profit brands” (CompUSA, MadDog, etc,.) and are strictly bonafide major brands.

I would not count them out just yet.
Prices and selection are major motivators for consumer purchases, and apparently they have met that criteria.

They simply blow Best Buy and Circuit City out of the water.

Unfortunately I don’t think they’ll be reopening any of the CompUSA stores in Georgia…

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2043514]Unfortunately I don’t think they’ll be reopening any of the CompUSA stores in Georgia…[/QUOTE]

Depending on your location in Georgia you could drive south to Jacksonville, Florida.
We have one store currently opened at the Avenues Mall and there is a planned re-opening of the Regency Square Mall store, approximately 30 miles south of the Georgia/Florida border.

EDIT.
Just noticed you are in North Georgia, and it’s a HUGE state.

I have to agree with Nemesys, at least with the retail stores, they have some potential. I talked to a couple of people when I visited the store and they said things about restructuring prices. I kind of get the impression that they may have started out with compusa pricing and are progressively changing things to a new pricing structure. They also said they didn’t have all their stock in and would be getting many more items. I was only able to look around quickly (walked all the aisles but quickly). I had my noisy kids with my and the plano store is like an amphitheater, where every niose from the kids resounded through the entire building, lol.

My impression though, some stuff was like old compusa pricing like a power supply splitter cable for 5$ (its 2$ on their web site so maybe thats an item thats going to change). Other stuff like optical drives were very good (they had several dvd burners in the 25-40$ price range which is pretty good for brick and morter). They must have had 50 different memory card readers (double the selection of frys) and while prices were a bit high for online, they were quite competitive for local. Video cards seemed the same way. Prices were a bit high for online but very competitive for local (compared to frys and micro center). The selection of computer parts was unbelievable (a lot more than what compusa had), including a lot of stuff that you normally have to buy online. I could see buying a lot of small stuff, because by the time you ad 6-8$ shipping on a 10-15$ item, they are much cheaper than online. I’m hoping to get up there and take a better look, but my first impression is the retail stores have potential (many prices were much cheaper than old crapusa prices) and the selection of computer stuff is amazing.

I thought bankruptcy allowed companies to screw their shareholders out of their stock, which allows the company to get their creditors off their backs a little by giving them a part of the company that used to belong to shareholders.