CompUSA Liquidation Sales - DVD Media Is Now 40% Off - Verbatim Movie Reel 25-pack Only $5.99

vbimport

So, we all know that CompUSA as we know it is going out of business. They’re selling off the inventory from their remaining stores, and their web site and a few choice locations are being taken over by Tiger Direct.

In any event, my local store in California now has DVD media at 40% off. It should be about the same at other remaining stores. The only deal I found so far was a 25-pack of 8x Verbatim Digital Movie DVD+Rs for $5.99 after discount. They are MIT MCC 003 media with an old-school movie reel design on the top surface. My store only had a few left, so I grabbed them all, because I know that by the time the discount hits 50%, they’ll be gone.

Do you think $11.98 per 50 of these was worth it? Should I have waited until they hit 50% off? Sure, you can get MCC 004 for the same, maybe less, but these are being discontinued and I don’t have any MCC 003 in my stash.

MCC 003 generally sells for a premium compared to MCC 004. Overall, I think 003 is superior, but it is harder to find at reasonable prices. I’ve seen 003 selling for $46 / 100 which seems a bit high. $23 /100 seems like a good deal for MCC 003.

Hello,

I am new here and to backing up my DVDs, I am using Verbatim 16X DVD -.  What is the differance between 003 and 004 and how do you find which you have because I don't see any of this info on my disks?

Thank You,

Eric

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;1995341]MCC 003 generally sells for a premium compared to MCC 004. Overall, I think 003 is superior, but it is harder to find at reasonable prices. I’ve seen 003 selling for $46 / 100 which seems a bit high. $23 /100 seems like a good deal for MCC 003.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Best Buy currently has them on sale at $44 per 100. My deal was $24 per 100, which is definitely more reasonable. They rarely go on sale, and even when they do, they’re too expensive, so I figured I’d grab what I could. Maybe one day BB will start clearing them out, and a new opportunity will arise. I think they are the last physical store to carry them.

[QUOTE=er5reni;1995355] I am new here and to backing up my DVDs, I am using Verbatim 16X DVD. What is the differance between 003 and 004 and how do you find which you have because I don’t see any of this info on my disks?[/QUOTE]

The speed on the outside of the package will tell you what you have:

8x DVD+R = MCC 003

16x DVD+R = MCC 004

This isn’t something you need to concern yourself with. Just keep buying the 16x disks. The 8x disks are rare and expensive, and the only people looking for them would be geeks and collectors.

Thanks for the reply negritude.

What are the differances between DVD +/- R?

Thanks

er5reni, that is a bit off topic and very difficult to easily explain …

See this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/difference-between-dvd-r-dvd-r-103718/

Thanks for the heads up.

I picked up two spindles of this media (MIT) to be used as backup media.

My local CompUSA store still had about 20 spindles on the shelf.

MCC-003 are awesome. Very hard to come by in my realm. Maybe at Sam’s club? I live in BFE.

Negritude: That’s well worth the price. Good find!!. I wished I had a compusa nearby…

Just curious, how were the prices on other stuff?

[QUOTE=ripit;1996361]Just curious, how were the prices on other stuff?[/QUOTE]

Yo ripper-

Knowing CompUSA as we do - it’ll probably be overpriced until they close their doors - the main reason they are closing in the first place-eh!! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=ripit;1996361]Just curious, how were the prices on other stuff?[/QUOTE]

Nothing special. Even with the discounts, it’s still overpriced compared to elsewhere. Discounts will have to hit 50% in order for other things to be worthwhile. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, most of the good stuff will be gone. Less knowledgeable people usually buy things up before the prices drop sufficiently. It’s the same thing with auctions. The clueless always drive up prices beyond what they are worth. The only time you can get a deal is when no one else knows about it.

[QUOTE=negritude;1996424]Nothing special. Even with the discounts, it’s still overpriced compared to elsewhere. Discounts will have to hit 50% in order for other things to be worthwhile. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, most of the good stuff will be gone. Less knowledgeable people usually buy things up before the prices drop sufficiently. It’s the same thing with auctions. The clueless always drive up prices beyond what they are worth. The only time you can get a deal is when no one else knows about it.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Thats why I haven’t bothered to check the store here yet (that and its a bit of a drive). I got burned on a few things last time too (don’t even assume that if it is shrink wraped, that its new). They have lots of old, obsolete, defective, returned etc. merchandise they are trying to dump (at least they did last time). I’ll probably check it out at the last minute when its cheap enough to risk getting burned.

I had thought they were going to be done in Feb. though, and thought it would be cheaper by now?

[QUOTE=ripit;1996503]I had thought they were going to be done in Feb. though, and thought it would be cheaper by now?[/QUOTE]

My local store is at between 30% and 50% on items now, but the higher discounts are only on accessory crap. Hard drives and enclosures are only 30%, media is only 40%. Everything gets reset to list price during a liquidation, so for example, a 20x CompUSA brand hard drive is list priced at $60, so 30% off only brings it down to $42. We beat that at NewEgg every day. Heck, even good sales at Staples beat that. When it drops to 40%, then it will still be $36, and still too high. You’ll have to hit 60% to even get a deal, but the drives will be gone by then. On media, a 100-pack of TDK media is also list priced at $60, so once again, you need a 60% discount for a decent deal, and who cares about TDK media? That’s why I snapped up the MCC 003 Verbs when I had the chance, because that was the only real deal.

The liquidation company will be done when it’s made as much money as possible. That takes precendence over any so-called timetable. Dates that you saw in a press-release mean absolutely nothing. However, they will be done soon, because stores are thinning out already. As I said, people are buying stuff overpriced, so they are on schedule.