CompUSA at Micro Center

vbimport

Check it out

http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/608/3_17enews_viewonline2.html

Sweet, thanks! Ton of stuff I see that I need and am gettin’!

I got that today also but i have no MC near me…

[QUOTE=Bob;2021333]I got that today also but i have no MC near me…[/QUOTE]

No MC in Honolulu as well. It’s okay most of that stuff that’s posted there on MC I bought during the last week/days of Compusa. I was able to pickup a few pci controller cards & sata pci cards too at 80% off & our sales tax is only 4.71%. :wink: :bigsmile:

Comp USA Brand 8x 8.5GB/240 Minute Double Layer DVD+R 20-Pack Spindle
$9.99
What is this MID ???

I just bought one CU Sata burner that happened to be Lite-On 20A3S, for $20. I also bought 2 packs of double-sided 16X DVD-Rs (and returned them because they were UME02)

I picked up a 100 pack of CD-R discs. I figure even the CompUSA brand can’t screw those up too badly. Does anyone know if the power supplies they list are any good?

[QUOTE=UTR;2021539]I picked up a 100 pack of CD-R discs. I figure even the CompUSA brand can’t screw those up too badly. Does anyone know if the power supplies they list are any good?[/QUOTE]

:Z Good luck with those cheap cdr’s. I wouldn’t buy a Compusa power supply if they gave it away for free. :wink:

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;2021549]:Z Good luck with those cheap cdr’s. I wouldn’t buy a Compusa power supply if they gave it away for free. ;)[/QUOTE]

For what I use the CD-Rs for they will be fine. They rarely stick around for more than a few months before they are lost, scratched or broken.

I have a MC right across the street from me so I’ll take a gander. I won’t get my hopes up b/c they don’t even carry 5.25 external enclosures. Computer superstore my a$$.

Long story short, be very carefull what you buy (assuming they allow returns, not so carefull), there may be hot deals galore, but beware, lots of their hardware is total shit!!! Some is quite nice though…
Some stuff might be worth looking at, but some might not (no matter how cheap). Problem is (on electronics/computer), you will likely never find the oem (probably built for them). You might find some cd/dvd deals, but frankly, compusa always went with the lowest bidder for media, but check out videohelp and take your chances on fakes.
I’m actually going to check it out myself though, (no rush there is a microcenter about 10 miles from me). Beyond that, depending on what they got, there is actually some hot hardware you can get cheap if they got it (cusa brand but only good hardware, available to re brand, or so simple a product, the cheap o Chinese vendors couldn’t even screw it up).

Their hard drive enclosures (pata, not sata), work like a dream. I have 3 (from store closings), and they work better that any others I have tired. They have never refused a drive (and I change them around), and have never had data errors, refusal to work etc).
I got a sata bay (takes 3 sata drives, takes up 2 5" bays), quick swap etc. The thing that sucks, I had 2 drive bays in hand (130$ items acording to them), gave one up (wasn’t sure it would work with my pata drives and pata adapters), and then got 3 sata drives cheap (at cusa closing). I really wish I had that other drive bay (quick swap of drives).
Edit (forgot to mention, the 3 drive bays were something like 20-25$, and I had 2 in hand!!!). 130 was the normal retail (saw lots of them on ebay near after for 40-60$ but shipping was typical, add another 20$…

It should be fun. Does anyone know their return policy (a lot of this stuff may be seriously outdated). Is it microcenters normal return policy or do special conditions apply (and I have yet to see them apply a restocking fee in-store, for any reason, but if its just a pos, will they give full refund)???

Fyi I used to shop (but hate) compusa a lot (it was right up the street). For a while, one of the tech shop guys was getting me good deals, as long as it was custom order (they couldn’t reduce the price to a reasonable level if it was already in their system at a price…). They actually had an abit nf7-s board for over 200$ in the case (couldn’t reduce the price), but he ordered me one for 105$ (just looked at the sticker the other day, going to get that system up again for a aux computer), and it was less that half price, because it was a newer revision and new part number (that they didn’t carry).

Just my thoughts
Power supplys
DVD_ADDICT is right.
I wouldn’t wipe my ass with one. I called their tech support years back (just a few years ago), and questioned why the math on their label didn’t work out (the maximum individual outputs didn’t even add up to the total watts promised (usually it more and you need to determine whats available on what rails). the point was, a 400 watt power supply, when you added up the rails, was only 300 watts (fyi I’m guessing at these numbers, you cant find specs on their units, not eve ul numbers, and it was years ago, (which with power supply, at least tells you the oem). They actually took a 300w power supply (acording to the power available on the rails), yet called it a 400 watt??? The therory is, it produces 400 watts at a certain temperature (for a second just after it powers up), then the power supply creates enough heat within seconds, its 300 watts (in a system, its 200 watts)?

I digress though (the power supply is the most important item in your system).
A lot of the crap that compusa had was used, damaged, returned crap that they were trying to pass of as new (with their closings anyway). I got a compusa gift card after a good fight, because pretty much all the koolance stuff they had was old returned and or many years out of date merchandise )koolance flat out told me that there was no waranty because compusa was piecing together all their old, used, returned, broken and defective stuff)…

[QUOTE=i_love_cake;2021560]I have a MC right across the street from me so I’ll take a gander. I won’t get my hopes up b/c they don’t even carry 5.25 external enclosures. Computer superstore my a$$.[/QUOTE]

If you do go by there, please post what you find (selection and prices, just ball park impression)… I cannot make it there tomorrow but want to check it out. Its always a nightmare to go to micro center. Even thought it’s only about 10 miles, its a trek across the Dallas metroplex with their fu highways, and it always seems to be a 2 hour round trip. I could probably make a trip tomorrow, but it would be a hell of a fight (the wife and timing, only 1 car), if there are actually any hot deals???

The dual-layer DVDs are RITEK S04.

The 3.5" eSATA/USB2 enclosure is the same as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817106097

I didn’t expect to pick up one of those 20x SATA drives (20A3S) for $20 and after walking around a bit, found one somewhat hidden on a lower shelf. Apparently, someone broke the seal and checked what drive it was, but didn’t take it.

I also picked up a Silicon Image 3512-based 2-port PCI-SATA adapter card for $15. After breaking out the FDD and Win98, the BIOS was flashed with the latest BASE version to work with the 20A3S and S203B. All is well again. :iagree:

The double-sided 9.4GB -Rs are certainly intriguing – and at $8 for a 50-pack, I wish there were a MicroCenter in the Northwest. Only problem with those would be, I’d use that kind of massive storage for long-term use, which I certainly wouldn’t trust.

[QUOTE=Powderhorn;2022199]The double-sided 9.4GB -Rs are certainly intriguing – and at $8 for a 50-pack, I wish there were a MicroCenter in the Northwest. Only problem with those would be, I’d use that kind of massive storage for long-term use, which I certainly wouldn’t trust.[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting a pack of these and then decided against it. Unless they are stored in individual cases I’m not sure how they can be labeled. I store most discs in old cake boxes to save space so these discs just don’t work for me.

Compusa was engaging in alot of shady (FYI; compusa was bought by a Mexican guy Carlos Slim, thus Slim Shady, lol) business practices in their last 2 years of business, so it’s no surprise they went out of business.
IMHO, it wasn’t him personally that screwed the business, just those he hired to run the business. All Microcenter did was bottom feed this garbage at upto 90% off… they they’ll gladly sell it to you for 40-60% off… and they didn’t have to ship the stuff very far either, so bulk shipping applied saved them even more. Unfortunately, Microcenter is a HUGE store… and they’re paying many tens of thousands of dollars every month to run them in expenses, payroll, etc… With mail order OWNING nearly all the electronics & computers markets… it won’t be long before Microcenter either closes stores or suffers the same fate as Compusa… hope not… because that will just give Circuit City, Best Buy, local office stores, even Walmart that much more incentive to raise prices further… for those impulse buys.

[QUOTE=ripit;2021595]
Their hard drive enclosures (pata, not sata), work like a dream. I have 3 (from store closings), and they work better that any others I have tired. They have never refused a drive (and I change them around), and have never had data errors, refusal to work etc).

[/QUOTE]

Do you know the chipset used in these enclosures? Is it only USB 2.0 or USB / firewire?

BTW, the MC in Madison Heights / Troy (SE Michigan) had NONE of the internal DVD burners :(… all already gone, and the place was packed yesterday…

Thanks

Alex

[QUOTE=AlexRuiz;2022500]Do you know the chipset used in these enclosures? Is it only USB 2.0 or USB / firewire?[/QUOTE]

The combo 3.5" CompUSA-brand enclosures are usually Prolific 3507. Not sure about the USB2-only ones.

[QUOTE=ripit;2021599]If you do go by there, please post what you find (selection and prices, just ball park impression)… I cannot make it there tomorrow but want to check it out. Its always a nightmare to go to micro center. Even thought it’s only about 10 miles, its a trek across the Dallas metroplex with their fu highways, and it always seems to be a 2 hour round trip. I could probably make a trip tomorrow, but it would be a hell of a fight (the wife and timing, only 1 car), if there are actually any hot deals???[/QUOTE]

Nothing worth buy. They had 3.5 enclosures and DVD media. I guess all the burners were sold out. I did see people buying up the DVD’s though. I noticed the 25pk LS Dvds were CMC made. I walked out empty handed. :slight_smile: