Compression Settings problem

Hi
I have a dvd I want to backup, but it is 2 hours and 29 minutes long. I have dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, and any dvd. Is there any way I can split this into two DVD’s and if so which program do I use, and how do I do it. I know very little about splitting sells or anything else.
thanks for all your help

The simplest way to backup that movie is using a dual layer disc. No encoding is needed.

If you want split the disc, however, a nice (even if not really the simplest) software is DVDRemake. Too bad is not a free software :frowning:

Once you have the movie on your hard drive:
Open it up in DVD Shrink.
Load it into the project pane on the left side.
Click on the edit/trim tool-dual arrows to the right of the delete “X” above the project pane.
When the “Start/End Frames” box opens, use the “End Frame” drop-down to pick a chapter to set a split point (or use the slider or arrow buttons to manually choose one).
This will be the end of the 1st disc (part 1).
Check the compression (I assume you’ll want it at 100) & save the 1st half (or chunk) of the movie.
Do the same for the rest of the movie (same procedure, but this time, leave the end frame alone & set the start frame to match the point where the 1st part or “chunk” you saved left off & save it.
This will be the 2nd disc (part 2).
I used this to split The Godfather into multiple single-layer discs that I load into my JVC multi-disc DVD player, start the 1st disc playing & sit back on the couch with my popcorn & go…

[QUOTE=geno888;2476835]The simplest way to backup that movie is using a dual layer disc. No encoding is needed.

If you want split the disc, however, a nice (even if not really the simplest) software is DVDRemake. Too bad is not a free software :([/QUOTE]

Hi Can I use Nero to burn the dual layered DVD’s on or do I need another program?

[QUOTE=djh235;2476902]Hi Can I use Nero to burn the dual layered DVD’s on or do I need another program?[/QUOTE]

You could use Nero; however, that program does not get the layer breaks right. There is, however, a freeware program you can use: ImgBurn. ImgBurn allows you to set the layer breaks correctly on dual/double-layer DVD media unlike Nero which always continues to the very edge of the first layer before starting on the second layer.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2476928]You could use Nero; however, that program does not get the layer breaks right. There is, however, a freeware program you can use: ImgBurn. ImgBurn allows you to set the layer breaks correctly on dual/double-layer DVD media unlike Nero which always continues to the very edge of the first layer before starting on the second layer.[/QUOTE]

Ditto :iagree:

Hi chosenfew777
thank you so much for explaining that to me. Can I ask another question my computer has lightscribe on it I have check the places on the web to buy these are they any good? Or should I just stick with memorex and a magic marker. Which is the better DVD to use.

thank you so much for your help

There are several different manufacturers who produce lightscribe compatible disks. The best are probably made by Verbatim. I would recommend even the regular 16x Verbatim dvds over Memorex.

Lightscribe labels are rather slow to make, and not as impressive to me as those made with ink jet printers. Both lightscribe and ink jet printable disks are more expensive than regular ones. Of course you have the extra expense of the printer and ink going with ink jet labels.

I make do with an ultra fine Sharpie.

Kerry56 wrote:

I make do with an ultra fine Sharpie.

Me to!..[I]Green[/I] sharpies…:bigsmile::cool:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2478226]Kerry56 wrote:

Me to!..[I]Green[/I] sharpies…:bigsmile::cool:[/QUOTE]
Around the edge of the CD? I hear that keeps the bits and bytes from ‘leaking out’… :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2478228]Around the edge of the CD? I hear that keeps the bits and bytes from ‘leaking out’… :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Besides that, using them makes me [I]feel[/I] all warm and fuzzy…:bigsmile:

Hi I want to thank everyone for their help and I want to wish everyone a merry xmas and for all of you who believe in prayer I live in the area that was hit real bad the a snow storm. They may not get electric and water back until next week. Most are in shelters. And now they are talking an ice storm friday night.

I went to Wal Mart on line to see if they carried Verbatram and they have so many different kinds, I will stick with the sharpie, but I really don’t want to sound like a idiot, but which Verbatram should I buy, there are so many it can make a person dizzy especially when you don’t even understand what the description means. thanks