Compression question

I am currently trying to burn 4 csi episodes from xvid to 1 dvd disc my problem is on the 3rd and 4th the sound goes out on both. I am using nero 7 ultra edition with vision express and cant figure out how to shrink the divx files more before retrying. Is there a good divx shrink program out there that i could shrink eack episode then convert with nero so i can make my own menus? I usually dont get too many problems with nero but this has me stumped. :frowning: I’m desperate here as i really dont want to only place 2 eps per disc as there are so many eps in each season. :confused:
Thanks
Anne

If you try to shrink them more, you will likely have a significant quality loss. Divx and Xvid are already highly compressed.

I happily get 4 episodes on a DVD but I create 1gb mpg files from DVD2SVCD & then author the DVD separately.

You could try setting the output size to a DVD9 & then shrink with Recode or DVD Shrink to fit a DVD5. Worth a try.

I would convert each episode to MPEG2 separately, then proceed with authoring if they are all playing OK. You can also just author to a DL size, then shrink or not shrink depending on the outcome of shrinking.

I also wouldn’t use Nero for anything video, but that’s me.

Thanks everyone i’m off to have a go with some of your answers. Thanks for all the great replys they are much appreciated.

[QUOTE=anxies;1672784]I am currently trying to burn 4 csi episodes from xvid to 1 dvd disc [B]my problem is on the 3rd and 4th the sound goes out on both[/B]. I am using nero 7 ultra edition with vision express and cant figure out how to shrink the divx files more before retrying. Is there a good divx shrink program out there that i could shrink eack episode then convert with nero so i can make my own menus? I usually dont get too many problems with nero but this has me stumped. :frowning: I’m desperate here as i really dont want to only place 2 eps per disc as there are so many eps in each season. :confused:
Thanks
Anne[/QUOTE]
Well that doesn’t make sense. I would try it again and just convert the 2 problem AVIs to make sure [B]they[/B] aren’t the problem.

Is there a good divx shrink program out there that i could shrink eack episode then convert with nero so i can make my own menus?

The size of your source files makes no difference when converting, only running time matters.

With that extended running running time (4 eps) a great encoder is needed.

You could try AVStoDVD (free) which has decent menus and will use HCenc to encode.

Output settings matter, even for DVD.
You can bend many factors of a DVD…