Compressing Mpeg2 to fit on a regular DVD disc

I have the pionner XLB and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way of compressing a mpeg2 file into a smaller mpeg2 so I can fit the movie on one disc. I recorded something from a dv tape onto my computer with Pinnacle Studio 9 and now I wanna burn it to a DVD. Now I know of two option but I do not know what programs to use. Can I split the movie into two smaller files and burn onto 2 DVDs or can I compres the file to fit on one DVD. Please let me know if any of you have suggestions. Thanks

This should be in the transcoding software forum here I think.
But here goes anyway!
I know this is a bit of a bodgers way, but I did something similar.
However,I did it all back to front. I made the movie into dvd format using main concept and then tmpeg dvd author and wrote the resulting movie to a folder on the hard drive. The end result was a file over the 4.7Gb needed to fit on a disc. Then I used dvd shrink to fit it to the dvd disc.
I know there must be better ways to do it, but it worked a treat for me.
Does anybody know if nero recode or vision express do this all in one step?

I used the Ulead software that came with my pioneer and I was able to split the mpeg2 into 2 discs each about an hour long. It worked fine and even made an .iso file to where I told it. So all in all it worked about but I need to do more research on encoding and compressing mpegs to see if I can fit it all on one disc. On a side note withc ompression my girlfriends cousin just had a copy of Spiderman 2 on DVD in a VOB file format and it only took 1.9GB. i do not understand that does anyone have any ideas?

Probably in svcd format. I heard of someone that had a copy of shrek 2 :wink: and that was 1.4 Gb

Yea I wanna examine the contents of the disc… that is one big SVCD then. The quality was ok but you coudl definetly tell from some of the graniness.

Moved to the correct forum.