Compressing FOBs

vbimport

Up until now I have been using DvdFab to rip DVD’s and I play them back via XBMC which has been working flawlessly. My problem is that each disk I rip is taking up 4.7 gb of space and my 1tb drive is running low on space.

I have downloaded movies that were ripped in an .avi format and these play with little noticeable differences on the XBOX and these files are a mere 350mb.

I know in the new interface that you have moved all the conversion functions to the ‘Mobile” section which seems I bit misleading, but regardless it seems I should use generic but what is the deal with various resolutions and sound formats?

So… What would be the best way to convert these DVD\VOBs into a smaller format to be played on a U.S. based TV via the XBOX and HDMI\Component video 480p720p? I presume the autocopy function will keep the AC3 soundtrack but what about the various video parameters?

Also is avi the same as Divx?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I would try the generic.xvid.avi.audiocopy profile at around 720 x (XXX) resolution (Depends on the aspect ratio of the movie), 1100KBs bitrate, high quality 2 pass.

This will give you about a 1.4Gb file for a 90min movie.

A 350Mb file of the same movie would require a smaller resolution & bitrate & would be unacceptable quality to me.

These parameters give me good results HDMI/720p.

DivX- Commercial
XVid - Non-Commercial

Similar quality, and most times interchangeable.

I will try a few chapters, I guess much of my confusion are that the various Frame Resolutions are numbers like 704x388 736x404… None seem to be on the 320\480\640\720\1080… boundries? Makes you wonder whats PAL or NTSC? or Up\Down conversion from the original.

If you can can shead any more light I would appricaite it, but thank you so much for your advise.

Regards

[QUOTE=MPisano;2075043]I will try a few chapters, I guess much of my confusion are that the various Frame Resolutions are numbers like 704x388 736x404… None seem to be on the 320\480\640\720\1080… boundries? Makes you wonder whats PAL or NTSC? or Up\Down conversion from the original.

If you can can shead any more light I would appricaite it, but thank you so much for your advise.

Regards[/QUOTE]

Usually Fab seems to recognise PAL as 720 x XXX & NTSC as 704 x (XXX)

Great,
Thanks again.