Compressing a video file

Hi guys. I m new here.
I hav video recordings which, in total, add up to 22GB. The particular files are also large. Eg Birthday rec of my sis measures up to 605.5MB. Plz can u tell me how i cn comprss it so that it fits a DVD.
I wanna comprss the whole folder.
The files r MPEG format…
Thnks

[QUOTE=Gadgetguru;2299134]Hi guys. I m new here.
I hav video recordings which, in total, add up to 22GB. The particular files are also large. Eg Birthday rec of my sis measures up to 605.5MB. Plz can u tell me how i cn comprss it so that it fits a DVD.
I wanna comprss the whole folder.
The files r MPEG format…
Thnks[/QUOTE]

So tell us again is each file total up to 22GB so then one file 605Meg of that is you video file right? To fit a DVD DL which is 8.4G you will need some kinda conversion program ie like ConvertXtoDVD 3 which will convert to DVD format. But you need to tell us how many files and how big each are at least then knowing the size would help in figuring out how to fit them onto a DVD format. Also are you jusing the DVD for mpeg storage or to watch them in DVD format on standalone player??? You unclear about this part??

Compressing 22gb to fit onto a dvd is going to seriously compromise the quality of the recordings if you keep them in mpeg2 format.

If you have a dvd player capable of playing divx or xvid avi files, you would have better luck in that format. The conversion process would take quite some time, but this is possible. You should be aware that not all dvd players have the ability to playback divx or xvid video though. In case you are interested in doing this, look into AutoGK or Handbrake conversion programs. Both are free.

If you plan on playing them as dvd video, I’d break them into three sections and burn each section to a double layer dvd. You can put each dvd video together with DVDFlick or AVStoDVD. Set the output in either of those programs to DVD-9 (double layer dvd). Those are both free programs. Burning to DL media, you should only use Verbatim brand dvds. Burn them at 4x with a free burning program called ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2299184]So tell us again is each file total up to 22GB so then one file 605Meg of that is you video file right? To fit a DVD DL which is 8.4G you will need some kinda conversion program ie like ConvertXtoDVD 3 which will convert to DVD format. But you need to tell us how many files and how big each are at least then knowing the size would help in figuring out how to fit them onto a DVD format. Also are you jusing the DVD for mpeg storage or to watch them in DVD format on standalone player??? You unclear about this part??[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the half detials.
The whole folder= 22GB
file 1= 365Mb
file 2= 683Mb
file 3= 53mb
file 4= 813mb
file 5= 386mb
file 6= 3.42GB
file 7= 1.28GB
file 8= 78.3mb
file 9= 766mb
file 10=526mb
file 11=360mb
file 12=17.4mb
file 13=1.67gb
file 14=162mb
file 15=576mb
file 16=773mb
file 17=1.87gb
file 18=443mb
file 19=3.84gb
file 20=3.87gb
file 21=212mb
max file size= 3.87GB
Min file size= 17.4 MB
I also dont wanna compromise with the quality coz the quality of the videos is totally superb. It is clear even when i watch it on my 72inch widscreen TV. I want to make the DVD as a backup as well as to watch in a DVD player. DivX is not a problem coz my DVD player supports it. If DivX is the answer then plz tell me the names of the softwares as well as the links. thnks guys. and plz reply.

The best DivX conversion guide that I’ve found is available here http://www.bobsomers.com/files/xvidac3tutorial.pdf. Using the settings in this guide will allow you to fit around 6-8 hours of high quality divx on a single layer DVDR. If you want longer than that, then you will have to make a compromise on quality.

Sláinte

midders

AutoGK is a fine program for people new to encoding xvid/divx. Here is the page with the download, and there are many guides to using it included at this site: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AutoGK

thanks guys. this is the worlds best site.