Compress VS. None

vbimport

Is there a huge difference in Quality when compressed the Movie into a standard 4.7 GB VS. a Dual Lyer 8.5 Gb disc and no compression? I’ve compressed and it looks and sounds good to me? Is it worth the money for Dual Layerd discs?

Thanks

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2015403]Is there a huge difference in Quality when compressed the Movie into a standard 4.7 GB VS. a Dual Lyer 8.5 Gb disc and no compression? I’ve compressed and it looks and sounds good to me? Is it worth the money for Dual Layerd discs?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is in display wise you might see larger pixels as result of being compressed from dvd9 to dvd5…but if you can live with using dvd5 instead of using DL media to save on money I say go for it. I use both dvd5 and DL media to backup my movies and both work so it’s up to the individual users to determine if they want dvd5 or dvd9 format. Only factor would be the cost of the media price itself. DL media are still expensive compared to SL media but prior to the media itself is the program you use to backup your movies is it able to compress from dvd9 to dvd5 if so then you can use dvd5 media otherwise you be buying DL media instead.

it depends on the movie and on the method used to compress it

When using DL upcoverted to 720p on a 50 inch TV you would see a big difference in quality verses a compressed copy. So if your not upconverting to 720p then I would stick to the single layered media with compression.

[B][I]@camellote: [/I][/B]We do not tolerate insulting remarks like that. If you disagree with another members advice or point of view, please confine your post to the subject and at least explain why. :cop:

I will point out that newly mastered commercial DVD9’s look terrible upscaled on many of the 50" LCD’s/Plasma’s. The smaller 40" and 46" don’t look as bad.

Not many people will notice a huge difference between an original DVD9 and SL DVDR disk on a standard resolution TV, if it is compressed properly and compared to the original to minimise artifacts (DVDshrink calls it Adaptive Error Correction).

On a larger upscaling TV, or with AEO off, it will look terrible.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2015754][B][I]@camellote: [/I][/B]We do not tolerate insulting remarks like that. If you disagree with another members advice or point of view, please confine your post to the subject and at least explain why. :cop:[/QUOTE]

The OP is asking about compression vs. non-compression, NOT about 50-inch displays, upscaling, etc.
The point is: it depends on the movie, since DVD video is already compressed (to comply with mpg2 settings). Some older DVDs, (from 1998-2000) look like sh!t in an HDTV but look fine in a CRT, and they happen to be in SL disks.
Another point is how big is the movie you’re compressing, are you compressing a 7.5 GB movie or a 5GB movie?
And another point is the program you’re using: Rebuilder, DVDShrink, Recode, etc.

Now if I wanted to increase my post count I would have given an irrelevant answer, like LOL, yeah yeah, Great! or I could have said that if you take the movie and you use a 30 foot display you’ll see the effect of the compression, but that’s not the point.

The point is that it depends on the movie and the programs you’re using.

It’s great that you’re monitoring the posts but it would be greater if you warn people who spread misinformation.

If you see misinformation then anyone is free to challenge it with an explanation - as above. Insulting remarks alone are no substitute.

Now let’s get on with the topic.

If midnightmike is still looking in on this thread, I’d say you are fairly safe compressing movies if you use good techniques and your viewing screen isn’t huge…but this is just an echo of Debro’s first reply.

To get the best results when compressing dvds, you should use an encoder rather than a transcoder like DVDShrink, or Nero Recode. This is especially true for those movies that require a lot of compression to fit onto a dvdr. My main compression tool is DVDRebuilder, using Procoder as the encoding engine, but even the free version of Rebuilder using the HC encoder will produce excellent quality results.

DL media is expensive, and there are very few varieties that are known to be good. We normally only recommend Verbatim DL, and of those, the Singapore made disks seem to be the most consistent in quality. The other problem with DL media is that it is an unknown quantity for longevity.

I personally have used very few DL disks for backups of movies. But I don’t have a huge screen either, so my reencoded backups are indistinguishable on my tvs from the originals. Using high quality single layer blank dvds also helps.

Settle down boys: you both know better than to continue this.

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2015403]Is there a huge difference in Quality when compressed the Movie into a standard 4.7 GB VS. a Dual Lyer 8.5 Gb disc and no compression? I’ve compressed and it looks and sounds good to me? Is it worth the money for Dual Layerd discs?[/QUOTE]

In my humble opinion it isn’t worth it to purchase expensive DL discs. The “normal” 4.5Gigs DVD discs are so ridicously cheap these days. It would cost you a fortune to maintain those backups on just DL discs.

The quality difference is noticable, but you have to have a good set of eyes or a high definition system to be annoyed by it.

It depends on your perspective i guess. If you absolutely adore a movie and want to have it on the highest quality possible, you are probably also willing to pay muchas pesetas for it. (I paid $50 for my SuperBit The Fifth Element dvd for instance).

If you just watch a movie 2 times in your entire life, why bother?

I have a 52 inch LCD TV and I use both SL and DL disc, it all depends on how much compression is envolved if I use a DL or not, if it is more than 30% compression then I will use a DL disc other than that 30% and below I will use a SL, you can’t tell any difference in the movie on my 52 inch Sharp LCD HD TV

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2017032]I have a 52 inch LCD TV and I use both SL and DL disc, it all depends on how much compression is envolved if I use a DL or not, if it is more than 30% compression then I will use a DL disc other than that 30% and below I will use a SL, you can’t tell any difference in the movie on my 52 inch Sharp LCD HD TV[/QUOTE]

I agree with [B][I]Jimbo[/I][/B]. It depends on size of the movie. Most are not larger than 5.5GB, some even less than 4GB, rest is just junk.
So if you get rid of what you do not need before compression, than not much is lost.