Compress-O-meter

vbimport

I have just begun researching into the transcoding of DVDs and have experimented with DVDShrink until now. I’ve just downloaded the latest CloneDVD and have chosen LotR-Fellowship as the first title to do a comparison of the compression algorithms. This is where I get confused; the DVDShrink reauthor option says I need 30% compression for the movie and the English AC3 2 channel audio. Doing the same in CloneDVD gives me a figure of 60%… :confused:

The CloneDVD output is 200Mb [roughly] bigger than the DVDShrink output, but used double the compression ratio. Or did CloneDVD make the output 60% of the original size, thus compressing it by 40%.

Someone has got something wrong here, and it is most likely me. Could someone explain why Clone DVD appears to compress things more, but produces a larger output please?

Originally posted by Orinoco
[B]
The CloneDVD output is 200Mb [roughly] bigger than the DVDShrink output, but used double the compression ratio. Or did CloneDVD make the output 60% of the original size, thus compressing it by 40%.

[/B]

Exactly. The Compress-O-Meter is a Quality bar (100% meaning no compression), not a compression bar.

Originally posted by Olli
The Compress-O-Meter is a Quality bar (100% meaning no compression), not a compression bar.

So 30% compression is 40% reduction in Quality. Got it, thanks Olli.

BTW: Love the sheep, for CloneCD as well as CloneDVD.

LotR-FotR

AC3-en and subtitle-en

CloneDVD 52% 4,464GB (4,681,644,032 bytes)

Shrink Re-author 68%; 4,464MB (4,681,467,904 bytes)

I know this is apples and oranges but they’re very close in size

48% reduction in quality is 32% compression

Sorry FutureProof you got me on that one.

My Shrink/reauthor was done with 30% compression and came out at 4,270Mb where as the CloneDVD transcode came out at 4,454Mb.

Are you talking about The Fellowship of the Ring or The Two Towers?