Compress mp3

Hi,

I’m new to this forum, but I did a search and couldn’t find the answer to this question:

I have copied an entire audio book that was 21 Cds long into MP3 format using EAC. I couldn’t figure out how to lower the bitrate settings so they are set pretty high. I think I only need about 64bit for audio and so I want to compress the whole series of MP3 (~2gigs) to be able to fit onto 1 CD. Something like DVDshrink for MP3s…does any software like this exist? Any ideas on how to do this without recode each individual MP3.

Thanks for your help
-Razzy

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I think that the best option is to rip again original discs setting a lower bitrate. This will create less artifacts than compressing an already compressed file

Razzy wrote "I couldn’t figure out how to lower the bitrate settings so they are set pretty high.

Yes :iagree: with geno888 ,and since you’re using EAC, start EAC> EAC>compression options >and set bitrate using external program (lame)…

Also you can try Mp3resizer

I use 80 Kbit 22 KHz sampling Mono for my audio books and get about 20 hours to a cd and they sound just fine to me.

Hey geno888 & t0nee1, thanks for your reply…the problem is that I don’t want to spend the time re-encoding to MP3 21 CDs of audio to reduce it to ~64-80 kBit.

I like shresh’s idea of using Mp3resizer…seems like what I was looking for…thanks :slight_smile:

If anyone has any other software solution that may suit my purposes, I would be interested in hearing what works…

thanks again guys
-Razzy

The GodFather also has the option of batch re-encoding. http://www.cyberpunk.gr/tgf and I believe WinAmp can too.

maybe look into a different codec…like aac which does alot better than mp3 on lower bitrates but with better sound