Compress .avi file to fit on DVD..?

vbimport

I have Ulead VideoStudio 10 (regular, not plus)

I have an edit which is about 40 minutes long (about 8.5 Gbs). I’d like to dub it to DVD, but obviously it’s too big for a single layer DVD.

Is there some way I can compress it without losing quality?

Also my DV - DVD will only take tape which is a few minutes long. NO way I could dub a 1-hour tape from DV to DVD. Any ideas? I’d really appreciate some help.

[QUOTE=Johnny G;2089647]I have Ulead VideoStudio 10 (regular, not plus)

I have an edit which is about 40 minutes long (about 8.5 Gbs). I’d like to dub it to DVD, but obviously it’s too big for a single layer DVD.

Is there some way I can compress it without losing quality?

Also my DV - DVD will only take tape which is a few minutes long. NO way I could dub a 1-hour tape from DV to DVD. Any ideas? I’d really appreciate some help.[/QUOTE]
What format is your video currently in? Is it AVI? DV-AVI?, MPEG2?
40 minutes of video should fit easily on a single layer dvd… In fact, a single layer dvd can hold 1 1/2 to 2hrs of high quality video…

Hi harley2ride

It’s an AVI file.

[ OK Johnny G: I split your posts off into a thread of your own, and moved it to the Video Edit forum :slight_smile: ]

WHen you ENCODE your AVI file, it will compress it to where it should easily fit on one dvd…

How do I do that? I can’t seem to find a place within Ulead VideoStudio to do that.

Cheers.:rolleyes:

If you want to work with authoring dvd’s, you should really start with reading a little bit about the terminology, and then try a ulead studio tutorial.

For one, it will make it much easier for you to communicate what you are trying to do, and secondly, it will save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.

In Ulead Studio 10, after you import the video, and make any edits, you select the option to make dvd. It will ask for options for file settings.