Comprehensive drive setup- what DVD-ROM and CD-RW?

I am putting together an entire machine, from the ground up. Targeting $1600 as price tag, and quality and appearances are both important. To that end, a 52x burner would be good. A friend of mine hates Lite-on for some reason, so I’ll need persuasion of quality here. Currently I trust Yamaha ($$$), TDK, Sony, and Toshiba

This is pretty all around use- ripping DVD video to Divx, ripping audio, ripping data, everything conceivablely rippable (excluding paper) that I have to backup. Copy protection is an issue. DVD- R/RW etc. is NOT on the agenda.

Also, I haven’t heard about TDK here, and which drives those are. the CD read speed on the DVD-ROM is somewhat important, for CD to CD cloning. (Or shall I be corrected on this issue?) Does a real 16x/52x DVD-Rom exist? I am not to CloneCD 4 yet.

So, all that said, what CD-RW and DVD-ROM should I get (I would like a 2 drive setup, very much)

Well I’ve actually got a LiteON 52246S and it is very good. Also the Sony 52x24x52x CD-RW drive is just a rebadged LiteON.

As for the reader I have the Asus E616 and I am very satisfied with it. I beats many if not all current audio protections.

Originally posted by SunTzuCanada
A friend of mine hates Lite-on for some reason, so I’ll need persuasion of quality here

Why, what are his reasons?

If this is gonna be your machin: BUY 52x LITE-ON, if it’s gonna be his machine let him decide what drive he want’s. An Asus will do just fine.

@SunTzuCanada, WELCOME to the forum.

Edit: Damn this should be in my post above. :a