Component Cables and HD Content?

vbimport

Hi,
I have a HD Cable Box if I hook it up to a Sony Wega KDF-E60A20 will I
still be able to receive HD Broadcasts or will they be just in 480p, not 720p
or 1080i ?

Thanks as always for the help.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-faq.pl?mdl=KDFE60A20

Yes you will get HD via component (Red/Green/Blue) but why not using HDMI which eliminates the need for a separate audio cable.

Only has one HDMI Input and I also have a HDDVD Player.

Do you have any home theater/audio system?

No,
but I do plan on getting one any suggestions at a reasonable price?

Thanks.........

99.999999% of the content on cable will look exactly the same on component as on HDMI.

[quote=ofield;2017532]No,
but I do plan on getting one any suggestions at a reasonable price?

Thanks…[/quote]
What is your budget?

Here’s some threads to look:
New Yamaha AVR model RX-V663
Good receiver with HDMI and audio processing under US$1000?

For speakers, many audiophiles suggested that you allocate budget at least 2-3x receivers price. So if your receiver is $500, your looking at around MSRP $1500 speaker system (5.1 or 7.1). That’s MSRP, so if you can get sale price it would be better.

[QUOTE=zevia;2017563]What is your budget?

Here’s some threads to look:
New Yamaha AVR model RX-V663
Good receiver with HDMI and audio processing under US$1000?

For speakers, many audiophiles suggested that you allocate budget at least 2-3x receivers price. So if your receiver is $500, your looking at around MSRP $1500 speaker system (5.1 or 7.1). That’s MSRP, so if you can get sale price it would be better.[/QUOTE]

Hi, i ws wonderingif I could find something resonable for under $500. Have
to admit I no nothing about HD audio Systems? I’m not even a Newbie in
that area?

[QUOTE=ofield;2017212]Hi,
I have a HD Cable Box if I hook it up to a Sony Wega KDF-E60A20 will I
still be able to receive HD Broadcasts or will they be just in 480p, not 720p
or 1080i ?

Thanks as always for the help.[/QUOTE]

Depends whether your TV is HD ready or not.

You can run component cables far longer in distance than is possible with HDMI which will have signal degradation. Component cables can easily run 50 feet. Try that with HDMI.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2036676]You can run component cables far longer in distance than is possible with HDMI which will have signal degradation. Component cables can easily run 50 feet. Try that with HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but do you still get 720p, 1080i, 1080p with Component Cables?

I believe but I could be wrong that with component cables you will get 720p and 1080i but not 1080p. Most cable or sattelite boxes only give you max 720p or 1080i. AFIAK. Maybe some AVR’s will upscale to 1080p on component cables.

Yes you can get 720p,1080i and 1080p via component cable, but 1080p requires several conditions to be met.

1. The source has to be capable of the output.

2. The cable must be rated for the throughput.

3. The end source must be capable of accepting the input.

4. DRM conditions must be met or circumvented in most cases but not all.

:cool::cool:

The only reason to put 1080p through any cable is if the source is a better de-interlacer than the monitor. They are the same image.

[quote=platinumsword;2037057]Yes you can get 720p,1080i and 1080p via component cable, but 1080p requires several conditions to be met.

1. The source has to be capable of the output.

2. The cable must be rated for the throughput.

3. The end source must be capable of accepting the input.

4. DRM conditions must be met or circumvented in most cases but not all.

:cool::cool:[/quote]
I wasn’t sure and thats why I said I could be wrong in my previous post. So if component is 1080P capable then the next logical question is can they output 1080P/24 if the end source is capable? Example: 120Hz, true 5:5 pulldown?

While it can be achieved through component video connections, there is no official standard for it. The CEA ( Consumer Electronics Association ) turned down CEA-770.3 rev D which was a proposal to add 1080p at 24, 30, and 60 Hz. They have been heavily criticized where there loyalties are. The industry ( IE - MPAA,RIAA ) are trying to keep that analog hole restricted to 1080i and this is to try and stop piracy so they say. Now you know why you should hate DRM.

:cool::cool:

[quote=platinumsword;2037601]While it can be achieved through component video connections, there is no official standard for it. The CEA ( Consumer Electronics Association ) turned down CEA-770.3 rev D which was a proposal to add 1080p at 24, 30, and 60 Hz. They have been heavily criticized where there loyalties are. The industry ( IE - MPAA,RIAA ) are trying to keep that analog hole restricted to 1080i and this is to try and stop piracy so they say. Now you know why you should hate DRM.

:cool::cool:[/quote]
Thanks for clearing that up. I don’t use component for anything but I have a lot of people ask me about component cables. Probably because most of us have those cables from prior setups and as you know up here Future Shop will gladly sell you that $120.00 Monster 400 HDMI cable whether you need it or not.:iagree:

Side Note: Flames play tonight at home.:slight_smile: