Complicated license problem

At my school we’ve developed a nice piece of software, with MS Visual Studio 6. For VS6, we’ve got a student license. This means, we can use it as much as we want, but we are not allowed to produce software for commercial use.

The piece of software we developed, is for a museum. This museum is falls under gouvernment and is a non-profit organisation.
But… they use this software to attract more people to the museum (sounds commercial).

So there is my question: can we hand over this product as we only have a student license? Or do we need to get a “real” license?

And what about if we give only the source code to the museum (so that they buy a VS6 license to compile it themselves)?

Anybody know about this. I can’t get it quite clear from MS self…

Wether you give your program away or get paid for it (purchasing , thus commercial) , it will not matter in the eyes of Microsoft.

You will need a signed contract of the museum that they will not use the software on a commercial basis and you’re covered enough.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Wether you give your program away or get paid for it (purchasing , thus commercial) , it will not matter in the eyes of Microsoft.

You will need a signed contract of the museum that they will not use the software on a commercial basis and you’re covered enough. [/B]

OK that makes something clear. The contract should not be a problem I guess… but: as this program is used to attract ppl to the museum… wouldn’t MS consider that to be commercial?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

OK that makes something clear. The contract should not be a problem I guess… but: as this program is used to attract ppl to the museum… wouldn’t MS consider that to be commercial? [/B]

wether mickeysoft would or not , is up to a defenition…

if you have the contract in which you absolutely forbid the commercial use of your product… mickeysoft will not have a strong case.

if mickeysoft can be vague… so can you :slight_smile:

you can either give the the source code (your free to do whatever you want with it if you wrote it)

or find someone with a full version of VB6 and have them compile it for you, then you can give the compiled version to the museum and they can use it for commercial purpouses if they need to.

Comercial user = getting profit for the software.

Define You as Innocent Student
Define M$ as Bloond sucking monster
Are you getting paid by the museum?
If No,
Then Up Yours M$
Else Bend over and take it from MS
End

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Huzzy
[B]Comercial user = getting profit for the software.

Define You as Innocent Student
Define M$ as Bloond sucking monster
Are you getting paid by the museum?
If No,
Then Up Yours M$
Else Bend over and take it from MS
End

:slight_smile: [/B]

All we get as a reward is some cheque but that’s just a thank-you gift!