Complete novice needs help with vcd's!

vbimport

i’ve been browsing around the boards for a while and all you guys seem to know what you’re talking about so i thought i would ask for your help.

i have quite a lot of movies on my hard drive that i would like to burn onto VCD to free up some space. most, if not all will not fit onto 1 disc so i understand that i have to split them. i have read through a few of the instructions think i and have managed figure out how to do this to my mpeg and avi files (splitting and converting them). i am having problems with some other files whose properties say they are ‘video clips’. the programs i have won’t recognise them, either that or i doing something wrong!

can you help me either convert them to mpeg so i can split them and then burn them to VCD, or can i split them in the original format then burn them to VCD? i have mentioned i’m a novice right?!

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

1. What program are you using for appending and splitting.
  2. What format is the files you’re appending and splitting. Look at the extension.

If it’s MPEG, use TMPGEnc. For AVI (divx), use VirtualDub.

i am using TMPGEnc for my MPEG files. it is my avi files that i was having problems with. i will try virtualDub and see if i can figure out how to do them. thanks for your help :smiley:

thanks for your help, i have managed to figure out TMPGEnc and my MPEG files have been split and converted to VCD without much trouble.

however… i am having problems with my AVI files when i am using VirtualDub. everytime i try and load up a movie (to split in two), i am getting the following error message because the sound is out by quite a lot: decompress entire audio stream to uncompressed WAV file and recompress with constant bitrate encoder (bitrate 122.8 33.8kbs).

can anyone help me because i have absolutely no idea what that means or how to do it

thanks

Just a thought, but have you heard of the following site?
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/index.php

Gave me a lot of help with how to guides on VCD creation, mpegs , DivX, editing tools codecs etc.

no, I haven’t heard of that site, i’ll go check that out.

thanks for your help :smiley:

Read the tutorials of the expert : Chickenman

No problems Eli, hope the link proved helpful!:slight_smile: