Complete Backup of my DVD Collection

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2117159]In a fireproof gun-safe? I’d say that’s very unlikely to be happen considering he’s only touching it once when he’s ripping it to hdd.[/QUOTE]
I meant “broken” in the sense of “crap media” or “bad burn”. Sorry if this was unclear.

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2117159]
~68€ for the HDD, you got the originals as a backup. And since he doesn’t need to convert the DVDs he’ll have them ripped to a new hdd in no time.[/QUOTE]
I meant “how much time would you loose?”.
Ripping all those movies from start on will certainly take much more time than burning one dvd again.

What are the odds? I’d take a bet on HDDs any day now also because the new green line from WD can run at 5400 rpm instead of 7200 which is better suited for a mediacenter.

You’re right. All my WD and Seagate hdds have been working smooth for years.
The WD green line certainly is a good choice.

Though, I would backup my collection onto a second hdd - just in case :wink:

Thanks for all the help guys, a lot of great points here… why go through the porject of actually making the DVD’s, when I can just lock a HDD away for safe keeping. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Ok, sorry for the delay gents… but I just downloaded DVD-Fab HD (free version) and the ImgBurn.

I was wondering… the DVD Fab came with an image burning utility I could choose to install, is the ImgBurn still the best by far from what I’ve been reading?

Also, I loved the ideas about backing everything up to an external hard drive instead of taking the time and measures and expense of creating separate DVD’s for every movie… [B]is there anyone that could explain how I can simply rip an entire DVD to one file on my external hard-drive using free DVD Fab so that whenever I want I can simply double click that file and have the full movie and all features available just as if I had popped in the DVD itself? THANKS!!! :)[/B]

[quote=dual layer dvd;2123521]Ok, sorry for the delay gents… but I just downloaded DVD-Fab HD (free version) and the ImgBurn.

I was wondering… the DVD Fab came with an image burning utility I could choose to install, is the ImgBurn still the best by far from what I’ve been reading?

Also, I loved the ideas about backing everything up to an external hard drive instead of taking the time and measures and expense of creating separate DVD’s for every movie… [B]is there anyone that could explain how I can simply rip an entire DVD to one file on my external hard-drive using free DVD Fab so that whenever I want I can simply double click that file and have the full movie and all features available just as if I had popped in the DVD itself? THANKS!!! :)[/B][/quote]
easiest way I know of to play by double click is to save as ISO file.

VLC will play ISO files just fine. Not the prettiest interface but produces a good picture.

Thanks a lot… I’ll try creating the ISO File, which DVD-Fab HD free version is the best to use for this purpose from all I’ve read.

When it comes time to create a DVD backup or copy of my video, then that’s the only time I’ll need ImgBurn too if I’m not mistaken.

I’m going to give it a shot today with one of my favorite movies in my collection, the new Rambo, ha, wish me luck!!

Which program should I use (freeware) to product the best ISO files? (I just started using DVD Fab earlier today, and don’t understand yet how to use it to burn a complete backup file to my HDD)

If ISO files lose some integrity or resolution during playback, is there another file to back up to… or, would it be possible to convert an ISO file to another file-type for a perfect cloned DVD resolution?

PS: I am trying to do a full copy of my first DVD right now using DVD Fab, and my time remaining says over 2 hours? Is that right… yikes, seems very slow.

UH oh, I just read up and saw ImgBurn was best to create a back-up ISO file to my HDD… but when I inserted my 1st disc to try it out, it said it was copy-righted. How do I remove or bypass the copy-right protection in order to make complete ISO backups to my HDD?

Do a Full Dvd rip (not ISO rip), with DvdFab to your hard drive, then follow this. Make sure your setting, bottom left hand corner is Dvd9.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

[quote=beef barley;2123749]Do a Full Dvd rip (not ISO rip), with DvdFab to your hard drive, then follow this. Make sure your setting, bottom left hand corner is Dvd9.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742[/quote]

Oh, so when I use DVD Fab to place the DVD on my hard drive… it automatically deletes the copy-right protection for me, and then I select that file using IMGburn and save it to my HDD?

Thanks… let me know if I’m wrong.

[quote=dual layer dvd;2123824]Oh, so when I use DVD Fab to place the DVD on my hard drive… it automatically deletes the copy-right protection for me, and then I select that file using IMGburn and save it to my HDD?

Thanks… let me know if I’m wrong.[/quote]

DvdFab rips away the protection, so you have an unencrypted folder on your hard drive. If you want to burn it to a Dvd blank, you would choose that folder (VIDEO_TS), from ImgBurn. DvdFab = ripper, ImgBurn = burning program.

[quote=dual layer dvd;2123728]Which program should I use (freeware) to product the best ISO files? (I just started using DVD Fab earlier today, and don’t understand yet how to use it to burn a complete backup file to my HDD)

If ISO files lose some integrity or resolution during playback, is there another file to back up to… or, would it be possible to convert an ISO file to another file-type for a perfect cloned DVD resolution?

PS: I am trying to do a full copy of my first DVD right now using DVD Fab, and my time remaining says over 2 hours? Is that right… yikes, seems very slow.[/quote]
I believe dvdfab hd decryptor saves as ISO to HDD. On target destination to the right you see a file icon and another icon click the icon to the far right that is ISO. No need to use imgburn to rip movie to HDD as ISO. But if you wanted to you will have to do 2 steps instead of one step with dvdfab hd decryptor

ISO is a exact bit for bit copy of your dvd with no loss to the playback picture if no compression. But you are using the free so you not have the compression. Let us know how you made out

[B][U]Hey GJ,[/U][/B]

Thanks big time. SO… you’re saying that when you first run DVDfab, the target save folder option has another icon to the right, which looks like a piece of paper with a blue DVD graphic on it… which is the ISO image option to ‘SAVE AS’?

[B]All I have to do is click that icon, in stead of the folder icon… and DVDfab will allow me to save the entire DVD as a single ISO image in one step and I can choose where to save it on my laptop or HDD?[/B]

*Can I still use the great options such as removing the FBI warnings and the ‘Jump to Start Screen’ settings? And, does this ISO option in DVDfab still erase and release all copy right protection once completed?

Gosh, guys! How about reading the info in the thread and what comes with the software? The OP has said he is using the FREE version of DVDFab HD Decrypter which does NOT rip to ISO but only to ifo/vob.

So either you shell out the money for the full version that does rip to ISO or you gotta add another step by building an ISO with ImgBurn after ripping. Depends on your media center PC what is more convenient, I’m sure some of those can start a movie by double clicking on a folder with ifo/vobs in it which would be almost as good as having ISOs.

I suggested ripping to HDD in the first place because you can skip compressing the discs and have a 1 to 1 copy on your HDD instead.

If ISO is preferred after you have ripped with DvdFab.

[quote=Chetwood;2124442]Gosh, guys! How about reading the info in the thread and what comes with the software? The OP has said he is using the FREE version of DVDFab HD Decrypter which does NOT rip to ISO but only to ifo/vob.

So either you shell out the money for the full version that does rip to ISO or you gotta add another step by building an ISO with ImgBurn after ripping. Depends on your media center PC what is more convenient, I’m sure some of those can start a movie by double clicking on a folder with ifo/vobs in it which would be almost as good as having ISOs.

I suggested ripping to HDD in the first place because you can skip compressing the discs and have a 1 to 1 copy on your HDD instead.[/quote]

Actually, for some reason when I went to use DVDfab this morning, I simply clicked on the blue paper icon with the DVD graphic on it, and it popped up “Save as ISO” and I selected my folder to save to, and it seemed to work just fine. So unless I misunderstood, my version of DVDfab does give you the option to rip straight to an ISO file. I never paid for anything, and I made sure to download the free version, so maybe I’m either lucky, or I have a new version, ha. I have no idea.

I have the free version on my laptop and able to rip as ISO. With the free version all you can do is rip full disc to HDD but you have the option of dvd files or ISO. If you pay then you get the option to edit compress and burn.