Complete Backup of my DVD Collection

vbimport

Hey everyone, been hanging out a lot lately since I signed up - awesome stuff! :slight_smile:

I have a pretty extensive DVD collection I started when I got my first job (seems like a long time ago now…) anyways, I’ve since been married and added my wife’s DVD’s and hundreds more to my collection; her’s included a lot of Disney DVD’s and Pixar films.

We want to back up all of our movies, making exact copies, and store the originals in a fireproof gun-safe I have extra space in - so that we won’t lose thousands of dollars in classic movies and DVD’s should something happen. :sad:

What is the best free option I have in order to do a complete collection copy of all DVD’s including old and new movies such as Disney etc that might have some sort of high-tech protection on them? If someone could jot down the step(s) for me below, I’d be extremely grateful!! :bow:

If you are talking about backing everything up to Dual Layer Blank Dvds. Full Dvd rip with DvdFab HD Decrypter to your hard drive then burn the output with ImgBurn in Build Mode. You can find DvdFab in it’s own sub Forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-8-8-beta-out-250905/

as for ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

If you are talking about backing them up to Single Layer blank Dvds. The following is for movie only, but you can adjust it to fit your needs or ask questions in your own thread here, not the thread I am going to link you to. Posts #67 to #74, but please also read Post #78.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

OH, and I just wanted to be clear that all my dvd’s are owned and paid for - and are for personal use with my family.

Thanks so much Beef!! :slight_smile: Awesome, I appreciate it…

(Just read a lot of the thread)

Amazing info, wow it walks you right through it! So, rip it to hard drive, then burn to a fresh DVD, and I can edit the output size so no matter how long my movie I can make it fit on a standard DVD!?

And all those options are free, the 2 programs to rip/burn?

No worries, good luck. Don’t forget to post back & let us know how you made out, good or bad. Don’t forget to use Verbatims & general rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disc, IE; 16X burn at 8X.

[B]You got it![/B] I just reformatted my hard-drive and have been having some issues with internet connection and my dual-layer DVD reading (I posted in my only other thread) but when I get it back up and running I’ll be sure to start trying and give some feedback!

Also… the [I]VTS fix[/I]… I was a little perplexed on that, do I have to implement this program every time; I know you said it was optional, but does it improve results?

Are there any huge benefits that I couldn’t live without, by purchasing a program rather than using the free-ware; or if I update the Shrink & ImgBurn all the time, I should be A-OK!?

[QUOTE=dual layer dvd;2115541]

We want to back up all of our movies, making exact copies, and store the originals in a fireproof gun-safe I have extra space in - so that we won’t lose thousands of dollars in classic movies and DVD’s should something happen. :sad:

[B]What is the best [U]free[/U] option [/QUOTE]

Hi!

As I see you spent thousands of dollars in DVD movies but don’t want to buy a DVD backup software for a few bucks?? :confused:

I just want to give you a hint, that there are also tools called AnyDVD and CloneDVD which give you a much easier way to backup your dvds.
Despite the easy interface, I have never had a single dvd I could not backup (and I did about 700) and all of the backups do play back fine in any DVDplayer I have (and my friends have :slight_smile: )

I did have some DVDs I backed up with DVDFab and which refused to play in some players.

If I would have to backup my whole collection I would only use AnyDVD/CloneDVD, since I’m absolutely sure that every DVD will work and I would not have to check that.

Best regards.

Of course you need to make sure you’ve got good and stable media as Verbatim DVD+R/DVD-R.
Also, use a decent burner like the newer Pioneer or Nec/Optiarc devices.

Thanks Pianoman!

Very good points… sounds like a better (less work intensive) approach, correct?

So, I don’t want to be ‘the guy’ who asks the obvious question, but you’re saying the biggest advantage for a paid-program is that you can rip, save/back-up, format/convert and burn all from one screen/program!?

That might be worth it, let me know what you think the main advantages are, and if you could… which program (if any) reigns supreme as lord of all DVD-rip/backup/burn programs. Thanks again, awesome help!

Any good with DVDcloner? Or should I stick with the other 2?

[QUOTE=dual layer dvd;2115612]you’re saying the biggest advantage for a paid-program is that you can rip, save/back-up, format/convert and burn all from one screen/program!?[/QUOTE]

No :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m saying that such a big project, as you want to do, needs software that works absolutely flawless. It’s necessary that every dvd works. You don’t wanna make 1000 backups and after you’ve burned them, you see that 20% refuse to work in your standalone player.
You don’t want to take the first DVD, rip it /shrink it /burn it, play it back in your player. Then take the second DVD…and so on. You need a strategy which works 100%. Therefor I prefere AnyDVD over DVDFab as a ripper.

Actually I don’t dislike free software, I’m using a combination of free tools and commercial tools because I take the one, that works.

I use AnyDVD/CloneDVD to rip the DVD to my harddrive, then shrink it down to the size of a regular DVD-R (DVD5) with DVDShrink and then burn it with IMGBurn.
This set of software has never let me down.

AnyDVD/CloneDVD can do this all alone, if you like to keep it simple! Just shrink and burn the DVD with CloneDVD.
But for the shrinking part I prefere DVDShrink which seems to give me a slightly better video quality.

Please note: I have licensed both tools, AnyDVD/CloneDVD and DVDFab and I compare them regularly. I just use DVDFab for other things (e.g. converting DVD->Divx)

Besides that, Yes I think, that if especially you’ve never worked with DVD Backup software before, the AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo will save you a lot of time!

@dld, the 2 processes I gave you work, both for DL & SL, otherwise I wouldn’t have given them to you. There is no “huge” advantage with paid over free. In the end, the choice will be yours, but don’t let youself be misled into thinking that free is in anyway inferior to paid. The right programs will do the job every time out & DvdFab whether the free version or the paid version is updated constantly. Dvd Shrink hasn’t been updated in years, but still does the job & ImgBurn is the best burning program around, bar none.

I’m saying that such a big project, as you want to do, needs software that works absolutely flawless. It’s necessary that every dvd works. You don’t wanna make 1000 backups and after you’ve burned them, you see that 20% refuse to work in your standalone player.

Just curious, but why would anybody do a 1000 backups, then start to check them?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2115705]here is no “huge” advantage with paid over free. In the end, the choice will be yours, but don’t let youself be misled into thinking that free is in anyway inferior to paid.
[/QUOTE]
I agree absolutely. :iagree: I hope my post did not say the opposite!

[QUOTE=beef barley;2115705]Just curious, but why would anybody do a 1000 backups, then start to check them?[/QUOTE]
Maybe a newbie?
I don’t know, I just wanted to make sure he understands how important it is, that those copies work without question. If he backs up many hundreds of movies, he certainly won’t check them all in his player.

Why not make backups to HDD? If you compare the amount of time you need for ripping/fixing/burning to simply ripping and putting it on your NAS it might be worth the money for the HDDs.

Good point, chetwood!
An 640GB from WesternDigital costs ~68€ here - which means you can store about 90 DVDs onto one hdd and save about 10min burning time per disc, so 15hours time saving for 90DVDs.
Not in my calculation is the time you need to organize your burned DVD collection (write titles on them, sort them alphabetically…)

But be aware: How much do you lose if one dvd (media) gets broken?
How much do you lose if one hard disc gets broken?

But be aware: How much do you lose if one dvd (media) gets broken?
How much do you lose if one hard disc gets broken?

Agree on that one, I would be ticked, if it happened to me.

I only have about 200 total DVD’s between the collections I have at home now, not 1000’s… that would be impressive though! Ha, thanks for all the help guys, really, it’s awesome I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Huh, I never even thought of that. I guess I was just set on making sure I had a physical backup I could always lean on in case something happened, so I could pop it back in the DVD player.

I wonder how many GB’s you’d need to back up about 190 DVD’s… yikes!

Your point about one broken DVD and a broked HDD really hit home! Good point

PS: If this is a no-no here, I really apologize… but for information outside the realms of what is listed here, what forums does everyone suggest? For researching things like computer systems, and operating systems, and other technical support and forums… are there a handfull of websites out there a lot of people frequent?

THANKS! :slight_smile:

You will need 1 TB for about 200 dvd’s

maybe a bit more
7GB/DVD * 200 = 1400GB

[QUOTE=Pianoman;2116015]
But be aware: How much do you lose if one dvd (media) gets broken?[/QUOTE]

In a fireproof gun-safe? I’d say that’s very unlikely to be happen considering he’s only touching it once when he’s ripping it to hdd.

[QUOTE=Pianoman;2116015]
How much do you lose if one hard disc gets broken?[/QUOTE]

~68€ for the HDD, you got the originals as a backup. And since he doesn’t need to convert the DVDs he’ll have them ripped to a new hdd in no time.