Compilation error

If anyone here has some free time on their hands, I keep getting a trivial compilation error when trying to make the a file from the following website:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~owend/interests/computers/starcraft.html

Its a trivial error, but I do not know if it is because I am compiling in XP, becaus ethe author mentions of a problem in 2k and both are NT based, or if its a header file as the compilation error states:

C:_ALL_\Borland\BCC55\Bin>make -fMakefile.BORLAND
MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright © 1987, 2000 Borland
Could Not Find C:_ALL_\Borland\BCC55\Bin\bnetd\server.obj
bcc32 -v -y -O2 -d -j2 -w-8060 -w-8057 -DWIN32 -DBNETD_DEFAULT_CONF_FILE
=“C:\Bnetd\etc\bnetd.conf” -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -c -o.\bnetd\server.obj .\bnetd
\server.c
Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright © 1993, 2000 Borland
.\bnetd\server.c:
Fatal F1003 .\stdcomp.h 5: Error directive: Must use C++ for STDCOMP.H
*** 1 errors in Compile ***

** error 1 ** deleting .\bnetd\server.obj

Any ideas anyone???

my first result on google.

Question:

When I compile my code, I receive the following error message:
“Fatal F1003 c:BorlandBcc55includestdcomp.h 5: Error directive: Must use C++ for STDCOMP.H”

What does this error message mean?
Answer:

The problem is that BCC32 is compiling your code for C yet you have included a C++ header file. The STDCOMP.H header file contains preprocessor directives that make sure it is being compiled for C++ and not C.

The Borland compiler determines whether to compile for C++ or for C based on your source file’s extension. If your file has a “.CPP” file extension, it will be compiled as C++ code. If your file has a “.C” extension, or an extension the compiler does not recognize, the file will be compiled a C code.

To resolve this problem, make sure your source file extension reflects how you would like the file compiled. If you are encountering this specific error, it is likely that your source code has a “.C” extension and should be “.CPP”

Yes I got that also from google, but trying to track down one file to rename to cpp rather than c is very hard because there are like a hundred as part fo the header code.

the error occurs during the compile of server.c, within the \bnetd\ directory, from the error log you’ve posted.

Actually I think by the error log stdcomp.h is the header that has a #include somewhere for a .c file when it should be a .cpp file because server.c is just the result file which then is included into another compile. Its delelted because of a failed compilation. Its too confusing and I’m gonna give up on it. Maybe one of my friends can come by and take a look.

if you are compiling server.c - a C file, and using stdcomp.h - a c++ header…

I seemed to always get some sort of error with borland so I switched to DEV-C++ and I also use codewarrior. C/warrior is pretty expensive but I know how to get it for free legally if you want to try it

ehh, the heck with this, I give up, my friend will just have to learn to VPN to get starcraft to work off our broadband on direct play.

Why can’t blizzard just make a patch or update to do so. The game is so old and broadband is the thing now, and its not like the game still sells so blizzard won’t really lose money off sales to the pirates that do exist with same serials of this game.

It makes it so unfair to those of us who actually bought the game.

Originally posted by slayerking
DEV-C++

now there’s a real tool :wink:

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]

now there’s a real tool :wink: [/B]

yeah it’s quite good like the rest of the software out there under the GPL

if only i could find the header files i want to see from within it, easily, without all this searching :stuck_out_tongue: