Compatible with my dell desktop? (LG GH22LP20)

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the LG GH22LP20. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]When I opened my box none of the connectors seemed to match the driver. Dell says its not compatible. Are they telling me the truth? Is there a cord I can pick up that will make it compatible?

Hi and Welcome![quote=jaredkatz;2149550][qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the LG GH22LP20. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]When I opened my box none of the connectors seemed to match the driver. Dell says its not compatible. Are they telling me the truth?[/quote]This drive has a P-ATA (formerly known as IDE) interface. Many modern computers only have S-ATA controllers. Please check the documentation for your computer (Dell has excellent manuals on their support website) to see what connectors are present.

Is there a cord I can pick up that will make it compatible?
In case there are only Sata controllers available, there are some options:

[ul]
[li]an IDE -> Sata converter (example: Logilink AD0005)[/li][li]a PCI IDE controller card with Silicon Image 0680A chipset, that must be flashed to non-Raid firmware[/li][li]return the drive and get one with Sata interface like LG GH20NS[/li][/ul]
I am not sure if the drive works flawless with such a converter or a PCI IDE card.
For the IDE controller card, please read these two threads:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/sata-ide-converter-235682/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

Michael

@ jaredkatz,

Welcome to the Forum.

Well since you failed to provide ANY information on your “Dell Computer” who knows.

First off to avoid any confusion lets use the correct terminology – A “Driver” is software and a “Drive” is hardware. Your LG GH22LP20 DVD Burner is a hardware “Drive” and not a software “Driver”.

Since “Dell” makes many various Computers for Forum Member to be able to provide any meaningful response you need to provide basic pertinent information concerning the Model Number of your “Dell Computer” and if possible the Model Number of the Mother Board installed in your “Dell Computer”.

Explain in detail exactly what “none of the connectors seemed to match”. Are you referring to the 4 Pin Molex Power connector and 40 Pin IDE data Cable?

Regards,
bjkg