Compatible media for drive

vbimport

I have a dumb question. I just recently got a used computer that has 2 dvd burners. What is the best way to find out what type of DVDs are compatible to use with them? Thanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Basically there are two ways:

1. Take a look to thread on the forum that contains burning results of the drives you have on your computer (there is a thread dedicated to almost any burner)

2. Do some tests by yourself and see what discs give you better results.

Usually, the better are the media you use, the better are results. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the very best discs available currently, so using these there is a very high probability that you get good results with any drive

Go into My Computer and right click on the drive and chose Properties.
Chose Hardware from the next window.
It should show the manufacturer and model number of the drive (s).
Once you know that you can check for their compatible media, whether +/-, and find out if they work best with Verbatim or Ricoh and so on ( but like the genoo said it’s mostly a matter of experimenting so don’t go out and buy a spindle of 100 disks of anything. ).

Some online and maybe some brick & mortar stores sell sampler sets. Personally I buy Taiyo Yuden 4X-R. I do wait until sales with free shipping. I may go 8X+R next time. The main reason I do not use Verbatim is not their quality, but the way they screwed me on 2 rebates. Returned one saying it needed more postage which Postmaster could not understand because there was enough postage on it weighed it ans sent it back to them with a sticker verifying the postage was correct. They then denied it based on time had expired, no reply on the other one. Hope another company will start making Quality DLs, but until then I’ll keep doing what I am currently doing. I do not support dishonest companies.

Mack

Do you have NERO?

Thanks diskwatcher and bigmacnc.
That’s exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

And yes I do have Nero.

Now that I have the model number, where should I look to find out what media works well and is compatible.

Thanks in advance:)

And the manufacturer is ?

I’m not sure. The model number is: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B

Under manufacturer it has: Standard CD-ROM Drives

If you download VSO Inspector ( its free ) and it will show you what brand it is plus a lot of other good things
Jim

Am I wrong or won’t Nero Info Tool list all the compatible discs for each drive?

I don’t know Ron because I don’t have nero, but vso inspector is a good program to check DVD’s with for errors and other stuff, I think Tom recomended it to me and I like that program, besides that it’s free
Jim

Jim, Just now downloaded it . Thanks for the turn on… I love Free Stuff.

Hey guys,

Nero CD-DVD Speed is free too…and very handy… :wink:
Just click on the link. You can never get enough free stuff huh?..especially good free stuff… :cool:

Thankie Tommy Boy :slight_smile:
Jim

Ron just put a movie disk in it and play around with it to see what all you can do with it, I love it myself
Jim

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help. :slight_smile: