Compatible Internal DVD Burner

vbimport

Hi, all.

I have an IDE DVD burner that came with my Dell. I believe it’s an LG product; it says HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B. When I try to copy data off DVD-Rs burned on it to my other computer with an NEC ND-3550A burner, I get an error message saying: “Cannot copy [file name]: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).” I believe this is a compatibility issue as hard-pressed DVDs seem to work OK on the second machine as well as DVD-Rs burned by its own drive.

My question is: “Is this something I can improve by switching to a more powerful burner?” I heard Taiyo Yuden is possibly the best media at the moment, but I am not familiar with the burners. I would guess another LG drive could be more compatible with my Dell one, but I’m not too sure.

If anyone with a similar experience could offer feedback, I’d appreciate it very much. :slight_smile:

In this case it could be you’ve bad or low quality media. TY media is one of the best media available, that’s right. But if you’d like a new burner there shouldn’t be any problems. Try to feed your actual drives with some TY and see what happens.

LG’s burners are usually good quality, but they really want quality media. You can’t be wrong with TY or Verbatim :wink:
If you don’t want to order online, you should take a look at the big Taiyo Yuden thread in the Blank Media subforum to learn how to get genuine branded TY and how to tell real TY from fakes.

I’ve been using Maxwell DVD-R. I guess it’s a mere crap. At any rate, thanks a bunch for helping me out here, guys. I didn’t have a clue there are fake TYs. I’ll check out the thread and make sure to buy from a reliable vendor when I order. :slight_smile: