Compatibility? (LG GGC-H20L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGC-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I need to know that if I purchase this graphics card:
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP 8x Graphics Card (187512) Link: http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4052

Then would the LG GGC-H20L be compatible with this graphics card?

Cheers Guys!

Mike.

For what I know there is no relation at all between the graphic card and the burner :eek:

Why do you think that it could be an issue?

Thanks for the response. Well the thing is I have a ATI radeon 9600 XT and just does not seem to run. Also run BD live and sais that it is not compatible. Drivers are all updated and everything alse is upto date.
I think that its due to speed blueray runs at. It does not want to play.
I purchased another graphics card earlier in the week which the Nvidia 6200 and that play however was really lagging. I just generally think its the graphics card. It also states that it need HTCP support.

Do you think that this is due to no HDCP support?

@marshy101: I’ve transferred this to the [B][I]General Hardware[/I][/B] forum as it doesn’t seem likely that there’ll be a Newbie solution…

The 3850 might do the trick, however the AGP platform is very slow compared to the performance of the PCIx16 stuff. So, don’t spend a lot of money on a 3850, get the cheapest you can find, otherwise your wasting money that could go towards a new PC. If you only need to be able to play HD video and not games, then consider getting a MB capable of HD video on it (without the need for a video card), a 780G MB + 2-4gigs of ram + CPU is ~$160USD today.

If you still want to use the AGP slot, then here is a cheap 3850

[quote=marshy101;2201336][qanda]This thread is about the LG GGC-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I need to know that if I purchase this graphics card:
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP 8x Graphics Card (187512) Link: http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4052

Then would the LG GGC-H20L be compatible with this graphics card?

Cheers Guys!

Mike.[/quote] That card is for an AGP slotted motherboard. Is that what you have? Most are PCI-E now.

Thats a good question. Marshy, can you find the brand and model # of your MB?

Replacing a ATI radeon 9600 XT, isn’t that AGP only? I don’t think it ever had the PCI-E version.

good point! Its gotta be AGP.

Marshy, do you want to do a basic upgrade with MB+CPU+RAM??

You can sell your old stuff on ebay and get 50-100$ on your old stuff.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your support. Yes it is AGP.
I dont particually want to upgrade my MB but I can understand where you are coming from.
I think I will give the card a go. If not then refund will be in place.
I recently purchased a graphics card the other day to test and see why the blue ray movies are not playing. So I bought a NVIDIA 6200 256MG AGP (got a refund), that played the the blueray disc however was quite laggy (Picture was spot on). I then messed around with the configuration of the card from my desktop and managed to speed things up a bit and wasnt too bad. The sound was fine also! So i feel with the spec of the 3850 that this should do the trick. What do you think?
Thanks again guys!

What is your CPU and how much RAM do you have?

I have 2g Ram and AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.8GHz

That might just barely be enough cpu power to aid in decoding. When you get the video card, watch cpu usage and see if it hits 100% at any point (when watching a blu-ray disc), because it might drop frames.

Not quite, 3*** does support hardware acceleration (not great though compared to 4***-series) so BD should be fine it does seem to have some issues with AGP cards from time to time (driver releases).
//Danne

Hey all,
Just to let you know, after replacing the graphics card with the Sapphire 3850, it worked a treat. Updated all nescessary drivers and also BIOS. Now runs really well. CPU rate runs at 50% while blue ray playing. The motherboard i use is a GA-K8NSNXP with 2g ram with amd 3000+ 2.8Ghz. Thanks again for your support.