Comparison of 11 Programs for Converting DVDs to DVD-5 sized DVD Discs

http://www.silverace.com/smartpig/issue4.html

No offense, but that is a horrible comparison. I probably don’t need to explain why…

/MLS

Originally posted by MLS
[B]No offense, but that is a horrible comparison. I probably don’t need to explain why…

/MLS [/B]

Hi, I’m not trying to be smart, but I wonder if you could expound a bit further.

I have heard the re-encoding long movies gives better results than transcoding with say DVD Shrink, (at the expense of more time required) and also that MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder and Cinema Craft Encoder are the best at recoding.

Do you agree with this, or is the problem simply the way the comparison was done?

Regards
John

I’m not surprised that encoders won, they should. My problem is they are for some reason comparing different standards altogether. Also the settings are not posted, and god knows you can sure make something look horrible if you don’t set things correctly. I’d like to see the settings first and be able to better judge the authors expertise on encoding before I take any of his results seriously.

/MLS

Thanks, MLS

Regs
John

Originally posted by MLS
[B]I’m not surprised that encoders won, they should. My problem is they are for some reason comparing different standards altogether. Also the settings are not posted, and god knows you can sure make something look horrible if you don’t set things correctly. I’d like to see the settings first and be able to better judge the authors expertise on encoding before I take any of his results seriously.

/MLS [/B]

Exactly, and with the correct settings CCE will leave MainConcept standing still quality wise as well. I wonder who “sponsored” this trial/test.

If no setting are published, the whole test becomes meaningless.

Originally posted by ChickenMan
Exactly, and with the correct settings CCE will leave MainConcept standing still quality wise as well

Yes CM, I have just confirmed that this is indeed the case.

BTW, CM, in your tut “How to convert your Divx to DVD-R” I made a big mistake which kept crashing CCE. I assumed that since ffdshow does an excellent job of decoding DivX, it would substitute for the DivX decoder… It doesn’t, it crashes CE.
It might pay you to mention that in you tutorial.

Regards
John

mr.webb thanks for that. It has been noted before that ffdshow can crash CCE. I will include a short note in my next update.

The problem is how far do I go in writing Tutes, if I explain every pros and cons of each step and what will work and what wont, then it just ends up so big and clumbersome that it would be difficult to follow. As I say in the Tute, use DivX 5.x and Xvid from … , if one wants to use somthing else then simple dont expect or assume it to work. Most AVI’s are made today with the Xvid or DivX 5.x codecs so I really fail to understand why anyone would even contemplate installing a playback codec that was not from the original source. That is always asking for trouble.

Originally posted by ChickenMan
Most AVI’s are made today with the Xvid or DivX 5.x codecs so I really fail to understand why anyone would even contemplate installing a playback codec that was not from the original source. That is always asking for trouble.

They do say that nurses make the worst patients. I have just proven with my own stupidity that qualified computer technicians have a very similar problem. LOL.
Thanks CM.

Regards
John