Comparing DeUHD / MakeMKV / AnyDVD HD

I had a newly purchased UHD (60GB) and as it was not supported by any of the rippers, I thought it would be a good time to compare DeUHD / MakeMKV / AnyDVD HD again on how well the ripping process went for each. I’ve also not included DVD Fab as I don’t have a licence for their products or know how it works. It’s also worth stating that I’m NOT comparing price, support, or how they get their keys (and from whom)… just how well they work from putting in a new UHD to getting the rip done (Note: I’m a Rip to Folder user)!

DeUHD 1.0.2.9

• Scanned disc, reported unsupported and offered to upload log files
  • Added Support Overnight for my UHD
  • No need to download a key file
  • Lets you know if a UHD is now supported
  • Allows you to rip from it’s own GUI or any other Windows Apps (like JRiver)
  • 39min Rip Time and no errors reported

MakeMKV 1.12.2

• Scanned disc, reported unsupported and created a log file that you manually need to e-mail
  • Added Support Overnight for my UHD
  • Need to manually download the Hashed Key file
  • Need to rescan discs to see if it is then supported
  • Allows you to rip from it’s own GUI only

AnyDVD HD 8.2.5.0

• Scanned disc, reported unsupported. No ability to submit logs at all
  • Added Support Overnight for my UHD but it took an additional few hours over the other two
  • No need to download a key file
  • Need to rescan discs to see if it is then supported
  • Allows you to rip from it’s own GUI or any other Windows Apps (like JRiver)

All three now claim that they support some level of error checking to help ensure a “good rip”. I compared 2 rips from each to see if they were the same, and then between each other. The good news is they appear to be “good rips” but there are differences that make a simple file hash compare kind of useless:

• MakeMKV : writes out it’s M2TS files with different bits set on each video block to how DeUHD and AnyDVD do it. An earlier conversion with Mike and James on the AnyDVD Forum seemed to indicate that these bits are ignored by the SW Players anyway and certainly don’t seem to cause any issues to date (and both MakeMKV and AnyDVD have been using their method for years on normal BD and there are no complaints in either camp).
  • DeUHD / AnyDVD : writes out the same M2TS files … but … there seems to be two(?) 4 Byte Sets earlier in the main M2TS that can be written one way or the other. The rest of the file was identical. I have no idea what this 4 byte set is or why both the rippers change these values between rips, though it is interesting that both exhibit this behaviour
  • AnyDVD : Pending on your settings in AnyDVD, the MPLS files can also be modified (eg remove UOP etc). This actually can be a good thing if you are using a player like JRiver that lets you play UHD with menus. I notice that the backup MPLS are not modified.

In summary, all three produced “good rips”… and did so in the same amount of time. I personally like the driver based approach in DeUHD & AnyDVD as I can put a disc in the drive and let my player rip, import, and tag the folder structure in one go without me having to do a thing. That said if I was a user that like to rip to MKV then MakeMKV would make a lot of sense.

@jmone1 I do think it is important to note that in many cases (especially with newer releases) DeUHD generally doesn’t offer support in the same time window that MakeMKV/AnyDVD do. Your case may have been accelerated due to the fact that they already claimed to support the title and therefore usually prioritize support for variations.

Thanks for doing the comparison. Great information for people seeing this thread for the first time.

Yeah I was surprised how quickly DeUHD supported the disc as well. Maybe I was lucky but I had not used them since the driver issues so thought I’d test them side be side.