Compare failures with 4163B running Intel App. Accel

vbimport

I have been troubleshooting a problem with a DVD backup system using Backup MyPC 5.0 and a 4163B, which would sporadically report compare failures. The problem continued on firmware versions A102, A103 and A104 with multiple types of RW media (Infodisc, Sony, Ricoh, Optodisc). The problem seemed to look like a media problem and be localized to different specific media, but these same problem media would burn and compare fine using my 4163B with the same software. It appeared the drive was defective, so I had it exchanged today and the same issue occurred.

I finally resolved the problem today by moving the 4163B to a second onboard ITE RAID contoller (which I set to run in IDE mode). I also updated Nero from 6.608 from 6.606, but I don’t think this had anything to do with the problem. InCD was not installed in the machine.

The machine uses the onboard Intel RAID controller, so I am stuck having to use the Intel Application Accelerator drivers, albiet the latest version of them. The RAID (mirror) is running off the Intel SATA controllers, but considering the results of the diagnostics the IAA drivers appear to be affecting the regular IDE ports. The strange part of this is that the stock XP drivers appear to be used for the IDE ports when checking the controller and port properties in the device manager.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with Intel chipsets running the latest IAA drivers. The motherboard is an ASUS P5GD1, and the problem occurred with both of the most recent BIOS versions.