Compaq presario v2000

i have a compaq presario v2000 laptop. when i insert a dvd or a cd the light on the tray blinks for 2 to 3 secs. and stops. no media is read . please help
it is a cd writer and a dvd rom

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you boot from your OS CD/DVD?

Also, can you tell us the model of the drive (you can find this in Device Manager) :slight_smile:

no i cant boot from the os cd that came along with my laptop
the no. of the cdwriter /dvd is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4244N
I suppose its an lg one.
is my lens dead. can i replace it. or do i have to buy a new rom. if yes then suggest me a good dvd doulble layer writer that will support my laptop and the tray will fit in the dvd /rom bay.

Looks like the drive is indeed dead - you might like to try it on another PC if you can, just to be sure. Edit: scratch that, it’s a laptop drive :wink:

I have no knowledge of replacement laptop drives (desktop user here), but hopefully other members can suggest a suitable replacement for you.

Another (easier!) option, would be just to buy a new external DVD burner, which plugs into you laptop’s USB port (assuming your lappy supports USB2.0) - LG make very good external DVD burners.

Hi,[QUOTE=musclechet;2092285]
is my lens dead. can i replace it. or do i have to buy a new rom.[/quote]You’d have to buy a new drive then.

if yes then suggest me a good dvd doulble layer writer that will support my laptop and the tray will fit in the dvd /rom bay.
Slim optical drives have standard form factors, so generally any drive should fit. Notebook manufacturers often decide to use cutom face plates and also custom installation parts. These need to be moved to the new drive then. How to remove and install a drive? Please check HP support website. They have excellent service and maintenance manuals for many notebooks.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Check if your existing drive is configured as Master or as Slave.

Michael