Companion reader drive for Optiarc AD-7240S?

Would appreciate informed recommendations please.

Thanks for reading.

Absolutely a reader ? Now they are poor reader/ripper compared to Lite-on or Samsung burners, for exemple…

First off Welcome to the forums anyusername

If you can find one then a Samsung SH-S203B with the read patched FW is a
fantastic reader and burner it will read up to 18x on single layer media. :iagree:
If not then maybe a Samsung SH-223 with the read patched FW would be your
next best bet but the burning isn’t so great on the newer models like the 203B’s
were.

A liteon would be my second choice but I’m not sure about how good the newer
Liteon’s are as I quit buying that brand after the 20A1S model came out and I
found the Samsung brand to be Superior to any Liteon I’ve ever owned. The main
thing I have against Liteon drives is they have a bad tendency for the door to start
sticking after a while and not wanting to open up correctly. :doh:

@getit29
Thanks for sharing your experience and the welcome!

I have been looking around for those models and came across a SH-S203P, is that on a par with the “B” model?

@Lithium466 

I have the Optiarc and am looking for the best model for reading and to check scans.

Forget about the Samsung 203 series. Those are discontinued, hard to find new, and they’re not the fastest readers anymore. Get a Samsung SH-S243N instead. Those are new, easy to find, they burn well, and will rip and read faster than anything with patched firmware.

However, if you want the best media quality testing capability as well, then you need to get a Lite-On, but the problem is, most Lite-Ons these days are rebadged Sony/NEC/Optiarc drives, so that’s obviously not what you want. Try to find a Lite-On that has a model designation which includes “-08”. Those are the ones that can scan. Other models with -04, -32, -98, etc., may not be able to scan.

Note that, while the Samsung drives can do quality testing of media, they can’t scan for jitter, so they are more limited than Lite-On drives. Also, Lite-On drives can do accurate scanning at 8x speed, whereas Samsung drives are generally limited to 4x.

[QUOTE=negritude;2500968]However, if you want the best media quality testing capability as well, then you need to get a Lite-On, but the problem is, most Lite-Ons these days are rebadged Sony/NEC/Optiarc drives, so that’s obviously not what you want. Try to find a Lite-On that has a model designation which includes “-08”. Those are the ones that can scan. Other models with -04, -32, -98, etc., may not be able to scan.[/QUOTE]
Which would you recommend?

[ul]
[li]iHAS422-08
[/li][li]iHAS 324-08
[/li][li]iHAS424-08
[/li][/ul]
I see all three, plus the IHAP 322-08 and IHAP422-08, are still available on Amazon and elsewhere.

Would like to get another drive for scanning besides my BenQ. Wouldn’t mind another good burner to augment an Optiarc 7240s also.

324 or 424, they were told to be better burners than 22x series (but maybe LO improved 22x firmwares ?).
But for sure if it’s only for scanning, 22x are MTK chipset, no -08/-09/-32/-98 mess

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2502127]324 or 424, they were told to be better burners than 22x series (but maybe LO improved 22x firmwares ?).
But for sure if it’s only for scanning, 22x are MTK chipset, no -08/-09/-32/-98 mess[/QUOTE]
Thanks Lithium.

Been reading about the -08 and “A” vs “Y” info. Makes it difficult to buy over the internet where the seller may not update their description of current stock. One method I read was if it has SmartErase then it’s the MTK chip and has Jitter scanning.

Now I read about the new iHAS524 which has yet to be introduced to North America. I’m willing to wait since I have stored a Sony rebadged BenQ 1640 and another Optiarc 7240A.

I wanted another scanning drive for comparison to the BenQ, especially before the manufacturers decide to stop offering this functionality sometime in the future, and wouldn’t mind some improved performance with Taiyo Yuden DVD-R if possible as I have a lot of it after the JVC/TY PrintPlus buy one/get one free deal last month. I also bought some DVD-R 16x TYG03 printable silver discs that have issue. I think I have bad batchs because burning can be fine or very poor, somethimes every other disc. But that’s another matter.

Yep, smart-erase = MTK chipset, but often description are not updated too ! (in this case you can return your drive and get a refund).

I think iHAS524 will meet your requirements, AFAIK, no “Y” 524. You can also buy a Plextor PX-880SA, nice drive too (a rebadged lite-on with mtk chipset) :wink:

Thanks Lithium. The Plextor PX-880SA is a viable alternative as a rebadged iHAS424.

I’d rather have an actual badged Lite-On than a rebadged other manufacturer if possible since I would think that firmware support would be better with the OEM.

Since reading about the iHAS524, I think I’ll wait to get one. :slight_smile:

Merci.

I picked up a iHAS524 retail for €34 delivered.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my question.:clap:

[QUOTE=anyusername;2504243]I picked up a iHAS524 retail for €34 delivered[/QUOTE]
Lucky boy! :smiley:

Please tell us your thoughts on the drive. Maybe a scan or two?