Compact and fast disc-only printer?

vbimport

Im trying to find a compact disc printer so that can easily print titles on DVDs i burn. The keyword here is convenience :slight_smile: I have spent quite a while googling without much to show for it. I would be much obliged if someone here could help me out.

Here are my requirements:
I want to be able to print monochrome graphics if at all possible, but i dont really need to be able to print photos as such (or rather, its okay if they look like crap (ie converted to monochrome)). It doesnt have to look pretty, the discs just have to be easy to identify.

Its essential that the printer has recent 64bit drivers (since im running Win7 64bit).

The printer needs to be as small as possible.

Printing should be fast.

What ive tried so far:
My current DVD burner does have lightscribe capability but i found the contrast lacking and even more importantly it took way too long to label a disc (especially considering that lightscribe discs cost quite a bit more).

I also used to own a Canon Pixma 4000, but it was too much hassle to use a tray for printing DVDs. And as with all inkjets printers it has reliability problems when you only use it occasionally.

What ive found so far:
I looked at the Casio line of printer (eg. CW-E60 which have a small footprint), but they seem to have really poor driver support). The Teac P-55 seems to have similar problems.

The DYMO discpainter explicitly doesnt support 64bit Windows.

Then there is the Primera Signature Z1 which officially only have vista beta drivers. On the other hand one user claims that Win7 64-bit drivers are available:

Use a Sharpie. They are fast and easy. They are cheap to replace when they break down.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2495612]Use a Sharpie. They are fast and easy. They are cheap to replace when they break down.[/QUOTE]

My hand writing leaves a lot to be desired (such as being legible).

Additionally, as mentioned i would like to be able easily add monochrome images.

Thermal printers come in monochrome and multi-color versions. Typically, the cost of these machines and supplies makes them a poor choice for low or medium volume work.

http://www.rima.com/CTGY/CP.html

[QUOTE=CDan;2495636]Thermal printers come in monochrome and multi-color versions. Typically, the cost of these machines and supplies makes them a poor choice for low or medium volume work.

http://www.rima.com/CTGY/CP.html[/QUOTE]

The thermal disc printers i found so far seemed cheap enough (especially the Canon CW-E60). The primary issue seems to be that the driver support is lacking for 64-bit with no solution in sight. I was hoping that someone here might know of some more reason printers of this type.

However, I am by no means decided on a thermal solution. I can just as well use a normal inkjet based printer (though the smudging etc are annoying). Inkjet printable blanks cost almost the same as the silver one. But are there are any inkjet based disc printers that meets my demands?