Comp restarting

i have a problem. my comp restarts when ever it feels like it, and im getting mad lately.

my comp-
iWill kk266 plus MB with via kt133a chipset
amd athlon t-bird 1.3 @ 1.5 ghz at 1.82v
pc133 Crucial 512 sdram
cmedia sound card
ati rage128 pro
60 gig WD
sony cdrw
creative labs dvd
d-link eithernet card
case is AMD approved
PS is AMD approved

im running at 36c idle on cpu 27c on system temp. it was running very stable at 1.5ghz. i benchmark it too and it was fine and i also ran the cpu stablizer test at hardcore and it was fine also. just a few days ago it started to acted up.

im thinking bout setting 5% more power to the via shipset but not sur eif i should. anyone have any ideas what is can be?

I just recently Put together an AMD XP1600 with 256m Ram with XP Pro.

I was experiencing very similar problems. after rebuilding (twice), I moved the location of the memory to a different slot. Computer has not rebooted (on it’s own) since.

Might be worth a shot.

i rebuild it many times already. im im tired of it. it was very stable till the last couple days. i left it at my cousins like a week ago and i just got it back 3 days ago. and it started ever since. i opened my comp up and check and redo the slots but same thing. im not sure but i got couple answers. 1. is to add more voltage to the cpu and/or via chipset. im not sure whatr to do. but im going to try it tomo when im free.

Do you have the latest via 4-in-1 drivers?
I had a computer with via chipset before and it was crashing and reeboting randomly but when i updated the chipset drivers the crashes and reebots stopped.

Originally posted by vietschoolboi

iWill kk266 plus MB with via kt133a chipset
amd athlon t-bird 1.3 @ 1.5 ghz at 1.82v

Try installing the via 4 in 1 drivers without using turbo mode.

Try installing agp vxd in NORMAL mode.

Via agp chipset driver seems to be the most common cause of stuff like that.

Originally posted by Donald_Duck
Do you have the latest via 4-in-1 drivers?
I had a computer with via chipset before and it was crashing and reeboting randomly but when i updated the chipset drivers the crashes and reebots stopped.

yes i already updated with the 4.43 update. still have problems sometimes

Originally posted by debro
[B]

Try installing the via 4 in 1 drivers without using turbo mode.

Try installing agp vxd in NORMAL mode.

Via agp chipset driver seems to be the most common cause of stuff like that. [/B]
it doesnt seem to have it when i install it. i think its because im running win2k OS but i could be wrong.

This is a long shot. . . check your mainboard’s ATX power connector, that the plug from your power supply is firmly seated. I ran into a similar problem with a system that was randomly restarting. Finally it stopped powering up at all. It looked like the power connector was fully plugged in, but it was not. Vibrations from someone walking into the room were enough to cause a momentary loss of contact, and the machine would restart. Of course, the fix was easy. Perhaps when you brought it back and forth between your cousin’s house it got jarred loose and is making intermittent connection. Like I said. . . a long shot, but worth checking.

Originally posted by Prowler
This is a long shot. . . check your mainboard’s ATX power connector, that the plug from your power supply is firmly seated. I ran into a similar problem with a system that was randomly restarting. Finally it stopped powering up at all. It looked like the power connector was fully plugged in, but it was not. Vibrations from someone walking into the room were enough to cause a momentary loss of contact, and the machine would restart. Of course, the fix was easy. Perhaps when you brought it back and forth between your cousin’s house it got jarred loose and is making intermittent connection. Like I said. . . a long shot, but worth checking.

right now im currently in class but when i get home ill surely check that.it could be a reasonable explanation because i do take my comp to my cousins often to download win2k updates and junk. if it stop the restarting. i thanks in advance… but i still think i might have to jump up the voltage for via chipset/cpu, someone else told me that could be the problem, by not having enough power to them. its also a long shot but both idea’s are worth a try now.

i got regular reboots when running my cas3 SDRAM at cas2!

try relaxing the RAM settings!!

Originally posted by vietschoolboi
[B]
yes i already updated with the 4.43 update. still have problems sometimes

it doesnt seem to have it when i install it. i think its because im running win2k OS but i could be wrong. [/B]

I can’t get my computer with gigabyte Ga7vrxp (via) motherboard stable with 4.43 either, using winXP/2000/98.

Try earlier VIA driver revisions, that do allow you to change from turbo to standard mode.

Try the ram CAS latencies like Yorke_19 suggested. Bad ram settings can also cause this problem.

:bigsmile:

I had the similar problem when I overclocked my CPU (multiplier overlock). After raising VCore to the max (1,85V) stability good better. Then I added some additional cooling and a new PSU (a real PSU, not the cheap stuff that comes with a case)… problems gone!