Commercial software players that detect Cinavia DRM

vbimport

Since Cinavia has been in the news lately, I decided to do a bit of research and see if I could find any information related to Cinavia detection in computer software players.

What I’ve found is a bit confusing/contradictory. It seems that Cyberlink, the makers of PowerDVD, released a major revision of their software one day before the mandate to include Cinavia. This version is PowerDVD 12.

Originally, it doesn’t seem to have included Cinavia detection, but updates to the program seem to have it added in. The trial for PowerDVD 12 version 1905 was reported to have it, but buying a registration key removed Cinavia from this version! That may be the last gasp for freedom from Cinavia in PowerDVD however.
Edit: And if you want to be certain to get a version without Cinavia detection, you need version 1618.

The official description of PowerDVD 12 now shows that Cinavia is included in the program. You can read this at the bottom of this page: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

If you must use a commercial program for playback of blu ray, I’d suggest avoiding PowerDVD from this point forward. Stick to Arcsoft TMT 5 or Corel WinDVD Pro 11 while they are still available. Or use one of the free players like Media Player Classic Home Cinema if you don’t need menu playback.

Slysoft is reported to be developing a new player…but that news has been out for years now. They don’t seem to be in a hurry about it. And of course, you can try the DVDFab player.

Good Info. Thanks…

If PowerDVD or any other commercial playback software is indeed using Cinavia detection, this potentially makes it possible to reverse engineer the code to see what it actually “listens” for in the audio. Once this is worked out, then it’s just a matter of working out what needs to be done to the audio to prevent it being able to decode the watermark.

That’s interesting Kerry!

Arcsoft TMT5 has now added Cinavia detection, as of patch 5.3.1.172. Not sure the exact date of this patch, but seems to be from Oct. 22nd or so.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661199]Arcsoft TMT5 has now added Cinavia detection, as of patch 5.3.1.172. Not sure the exact date of this patch, but seems to be from Oct. 22nd or so.[/QUOTE]I have an older version 5 of TMT I guess I will not be updating I can’t imagine this news is going to boosts acrsofts sales they must have been paid a lump sum by Sony to add it along with the others.:Z

BOYCOTT SONY PRODUCTS!!

They (Arcsoft) had no choice but to add it if they wanted AACS certification. And AACS is necessary for any commercial software or hardware that can play blu ray discs. DVDFab doesn’t have AACS certification for their player, but their software is all about breaking encryption anyway. Slysoft is way behind on developing a player of their own, though they may simply be waiting for the Cinavia infection to hit all the major commercial players and give most everyone an incentive for looking at their media player.

Looks like Arcsoft delayed as long as they could.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661236]They (Arcsoft) had no choice but to add it if they wanted AACS certification. And AACS is necessary for any commercial software or hardware that can play blu ray discs. DVDFab doesn’t have AACS certification for their player, but their software is all about breaking encryption anyway. Slysoft is way behind on developing a player of their own, though they may simply be waiting for the Cinavia infection to hit all the major commercial players and give most everyone an incentive for looking at their media player.

Looks like Arcsoft delayed as long as they could.[/QUOTE]That makes since but the consumers can still boycott Sony products but that will not happen.
I would love to see Slysoft defeat and put out their own BD player I would be rolling on the floor laughing till my belly hurt to see fair use brought back by slysoft and end the cinivia permanently.:bow:

Nero HD Player also has Cinavia now. Third paragraph of this pdf file: http://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero12/blurayplayer/NeroBlurayPlayer_en-US.pdf

Kerry, what about media hardware players(not bd players)?
I have thought about getting one but not sure if I want to if they add in the protection through updates.

Anyway, the way it stands now, I am unaffected since I have panasonic bd player from last year yet somewhere down the road, it could affect all of us.
I can also play through my inboard tv media player.
Of course there are freeware software players that will play the individual m2ts.

Unless the media players also have blu ray support, like the Netgear Neo TV, or the Dune HD, they will not have Cinavia detection. The AACS license is needed for blu ray playback, and that license now includes a requirement for Cinavia. The vast majority of streaming media boxes don’t have disc players of any kind, so they don’t need AACS.

As far as software players, you can always use an older version of TMT or PowerDVD and play ripped files that have the encryption removed. For new physical discs, you might need AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey running in the background.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema is working very well for HD files these days, so if you don’t need menu support, it is fine. Its only menus and extras that get a bit tricky with the free players.

Yeah, I use mphc, potplayer, VLC and sometimes splash lite.
Though I don’t play an entire bd m2ts using any of them, they seem to handle the contents ok.
VLC with patches can play some bds (movie only), that is it can read contents and start play on older encrypted bds.

I really don’t care about menus and all that stuff anyhow, the movie section is what I want to see and hate going through all that extra bs that is put at the beginning on some movie.
Heck some of them one cannot bypass coming attractions or fbi warnings…

I suppose the older versions of TMT and PowerDVD are still payware?

I suppose the older versions of TMT and PowerDVD are still payware?

Yes, and may not be that easy to find legally, unless you get a retail, boxed version from someone on Ebay. No guarantee they’ll work on newer operating systems either.

I won’t be updating my TMT!

thanks

Just an update, though it is old news by now. sMedio has acquired the rights to produce a newer version of WinDVD. This version has been updated to play on Windows 8 and is now called version WinDVD Pro 11 (version 11.5).

This version of WinDVD definitely has Cinavia detection added in.