Commercial / Industrial grade Blu-ray writer

Can someone recommend a decent commercial/industrial grade Blu-ray (M-disc) writer? From what I’ve researched, the consumer level Blu-ray writers fail sooner than later. The best consumer Blu-ray burner I’ve read about is the OWC Mercury Pro 16X Blu-ray. I’m a photographer wanting to archive files to M-disc but looking for a buner that will last longer than a year before having to replace it.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Happy New Year.

The burner inside the heavy duty OWC case you mention is a garden variety LG WH16NS40.

The closest thing to “industrial grade” on the market right now is the customized LG burner manufactured for Vinpower Digital; however, from postings in other threads here it seems the internal differences vs. the LG branded version are minimal.

Wouldn’t a Pioneer be a better choice? I have no experience with Blu-ray writers in general, but my first DVD writer was a Pioneer and it is still working after almost 15 years (but not used often anymore as it is an IDE drive).

“They don’t make 'em like they used to”

All of the reviews that I have read on the Blu-ray burners (with M-disc capability) have pointed to early hardware failure of the drives (regardless of manufacturer).
With that said, can anyone share any success stories of drives that have lasted for years (or at least more than 1 year)?
Thank you for all of your responses.

Blockquote
The closest thing to “industrial grade” on the market right now is the customized LG burner manufactured for Vinpower Digital; however, from postings in other threads here it seems the internal differences vs. the LG branded version are minimal.
Blockquote

@schuster Can I buy one of those drives from Vinpower Digital directly? A quick search and did not find any retailers selling that model, nor did I find that model on eBay.
Also do those “differences” affect the performance (or features) of the drive?

Hhhmmm, industrial grade… You know that you pay for that! The only ones that I know of are Pioneer’s PR1MC-W oder PR1MA-W. The “C” version is able to check the media, but costs around 250000 yen.
The “A” version around 90000 yen.
The suffix -W is for the newer models, that are also capable of writing (and scanning) BDXL 128GB media. The old ones (without -W) weren’t able to do that (only up to 100GB; although I think this is only a matter of firmware…!).
However, they can also fail within the warranty period. But you could hope for a better support. They are directly available from www.almedio.co.jp.
Concerning archival media: I doubt that there big differences from Verbatim M-Discs to normal (HTL) Verbatim discs. Both use inorganic data layers and they both share the same MID (for 50GB VERBAT-IMf, for 100GB VERBAT-IMk), so the same burn strategy will be applied. I never noticed any real differences. If you really want archival media, you have to opt for MKM’s Enterprise Grade media
(100GB model = AABF25RTJP, 50GB model = ASBS25RDJP). They have a different MID (VAMKM-IMk, VAMKM-IMf) and are really expensive (100GB about 30 Euros, 50GB about 12 Euros per disc). And they can only be burnt with Pioneer’s PR1MC/A drives, but they do provide exceptional low error rates. I don’t know how long they will still be available because MKM (Mitsubishi Kagaku Media) sold their optical storage branch to CMC Magnetics… (that also includes the Verbatim brand…)
An other possibility would be Sony’s optical disc archive system with archival disc cartridges reaching up to 5.5 TB (containting 11 AD500 discs). However, we’re talking about at least 10000 USD for the drive (Gen3) itself and 1 cartridge for about 300 USD. (Gen 2 with up to 3.3 TB is cheaper: drive about 5000 USD, cartridge about 150 USD)

1 Like

AFAIK Vinpower Digital has no direct retail sales.

The closest thing they have to a retail arm is thru Runtech Media:

https://www.runtechmedia.com/products/wh16ns58

Some of their products (mainly copiers) are sold through Amazon.

Industrial grade? You probably want to have a look at Sony optical disc archive then if you want more than consumers get. But you will have to pay for that.