Command line with XP pro

vbimport

it should be simple for someone in the know - how do i get command.exe to recognize that directories/file names have spaces? its a real b*** trying to learn all the switches associated with lame as it is :), without this windows virus acting up.

use quotation marks

c:> cd “Program Files”

it can be done easier

for instance , if you want to reach c:\program files and you’re currently on c:\

just type cd progra[tab] and the command line will fill in the rest for you

maybe im retarded, but neither one of those worked. i also mistyped, not that it matters, it’s command.com, as you probably guessed, typed in at the run box.

i tried cd progra[then i pressed tab] and it moved 5 spaces. no typing appeared. i pressed enter, invalid directory.

cd “Program Files” and cd “program files” (checking for case sensitive :wink: yieled this message -

Parameter format not correct - "Program
and
Parameter format not correct - "program

respectively. makes no sense to me, as i’d tried the quotes already. with a single quote, i get Too many parameters - files’

go figure. thanks for the help so far. please confirm that im an idiot, my command.com is f*ed, or that these work :wink: i’d greatly appreciated it.

How are you starting a command prompt ?

Do you use

start - execute - command.com : no , this will not work

start - execute - cmd.exe : yes , all will work

command.com is NOT cmd.exe. Only use cmd.exe for a command prompt in WinXP. The command.com is the old win 9x/me MS-DOS command executable. (This stays intact when you upgrade from 9x/ME to XP)

you win. i am/was typing command in the run box. im retarded. sorry again. taken 2 weeks off from running javac all the time, and i start typing command instead of cmd. bang to the head. thanks for the help.

also, command.com is present in XP pro by default, apparently. clean install and its there :frowning:

im retarded

will you change your name now??? :bigsmile:

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]you win. i am/was typing command in the run box. im retarded. sorry again. taken 2 weeks off from running javac all the time, and i start typing command instead of cmd. bang to the head. thanks for the help.

also, command.com is present in XP pro by default, apparently. clean install and its there :frowning: [/B]

naah , doesn’t make you retarded. Who reads a manual anyway … certainly not computer engineers

now if you asked the exact same question in the next 10 minutes … then i suggest a name change :slight_smile:

oh , by the way , to get it right within the command.com prompt is by doing a dir first , it’ll show all the names in the 8.3 standard and if you want to go to the directory program files you type

cd progra~1

LOL, ok, i forgot the syntax for the ~ too.

the comp e’s can read all the manuals they want, i’d rather play with the EE stuff :wink: