Coming soon: Another new (mainstream, not for serious gamers) build!

vbimport

I have just pulled my Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 from my current main rig (and put a Core 2 Quad Q9450 into it). With this Core 2 Duo E6750, I am planning to build a new rig around this processor. This rig will be mainly for Internet and music, with some gaming (though with nothing even remotely close to the latest first-person shooter games which tax today’s top-of-the-line cards).

I have some of the required parts for this build – primarily a SATA DVD writer and 2GB of DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) memory (2 x 1GB sticks). I am planning to purchase a suitable case, power supply unit and SATA hard drive (and please don’t give suggestions on those components).

The question is about my spare motherboard (an Asus P5K, with that undistinguished ICH9 Southbridge, crappy Attansic L1 Ethernet controller and craptastic JMicron (or shall I say JMicrap?) IDE/eSATA controller). Should I keep that motherboard, but purchase a low- to mid-line PCI-Express graphics card? Or should I spend the money on a new motherboard (which uses an Ethernet controller that’s not from Atheros/Attansic) with onboard graphics and a PCI-Express x16 slot for future graphics card expansion?

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

cya l8r

I would keep the MB, get an inexpensive card that can do some light gaming, like this ASUS EN8600GTS 50 bucks AR, sell the game for 20, for a grand total of 30 bucks plus shipping.

Thanks for your suggestions. However, I ended up also upgrading the memory on my main rig from 2GB to 4GB, and got myself a Radeon HD 4850 for my main rig and moved the GeForce 8800GT to the “new” build that I was going to put a cheap graphics card in. At the current going prices (locally) for those slower cards, I might as well “upgrade” my main rig to a slightly better-performing card and move my existing main card to the new build.