Combo CD-Writer not seeing Raw Cds

I have recently installed a Combo CD-Writer but when trying to use a raw cd the drive does not recognise the CD as mounted - it reads CDs and DVDs ok.

I took it back to be tested by the vendor and it worked ok there!!

Why is it that it does not work on my system? (My OS is w2k)

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi and Welcome!

what would you expect to happen if you insert a blank disc into a drive?

Solution: You need a CD burning software to write data onto a blank disc.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1940127]Hi and Welcome!

what would you expect to happen if you insert a blank disc into a drive?

Solution: You need a CD burning software to write data onto a blank disc.

Michael[/quote]

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

When I click on the drive it should open the disk as blank - however it doesn’t do that and it says:

“please insert a disk into drive:”

I’ve also used a software for copying files but when it comes to copy it gives the same message as above and doesn’t see the disk in the drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=Only-Human;1940134]
When I click on the drive it should open the disk as blank - however it doesn’t do that and it says:

“please insert a disk into drive:”[/quote]This is normal.

I’ve also used a software for copying files but when it comes to copy it gives the same message as above and doesn’t see the disk in the drive.
What software have you tried?
If you don’t want to spend money, try either CDBurnerXPor ImgBurn. Both are freeware.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1940191]
What software have you tried?

Michael[/quote]

I have just used another better quality CD with the software which came with the drive, Nero and it worked ok.

Something I am not quite sure: should I not be able to just do a “copy & paste” on the CD - it doesn’t allow this?

Regards,

Human

Hi,[QUOTE=Only-Human;1940679]I have just used another better quality CD with the software which came with the drive, Nero and it worked ok.[/quote]Fine :clap: :slight_smile:

Something I am not quite sure: should I not be able to just do a “copy & paste” on the CD - it doesn’t allow this?
No.
Unless you install additional software (packet writing software), that installs a kind of driver that allows to treat a blank disc like a floppy or similar. Windows XP comes with such a piece of software (by Roxio) built-in.

Nero comes with InCD, which has to be installed separately during Nero setup (or it has its own installer, don’t remember exactly).
Opinions about InCD and similar software are very mixed, since the reliability is questionable.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1940690]Hi,Fine :clap: :slight_smile:

No.
Unless you install additional software (packet writing software), that installs a kind of driver that allows to treat a blank disc like a floppy or similar. Windows XP comes with such a piece of software (by Roxio) built-in.

Nero comes with InCD, which has to be installed separately during Nero setup (or it has its own installer, don’t remember exactly).
Opinions about InCD and similar software are very mixed, since the reliability is questionable.

Michael[/quote]

It is a lot clearer now - thanks to your replies.